Deco calls tp-link.com, time-a.nist.gov, time.nist.gov every 10 second

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-12-11 17:25:47
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi,
I just installed pi-hole ( https://pi-hole.net/) on one of my RPi,s to act as a AdBlocker.
It acts as a DNS server and blocks certain sites based on a blacklist, no rocket sience...
In the interface I can get statistics over wich top domains that are requested and which top domains that are blocked.

I found time-a.nist.gov, time.nist.gov and tp-link.com in the called top domains. When I checked which clients that made the requests I found that it was my Deco's.

Anyone know why they are so desperately asking about the tima and calling home (E.T, phone home anyone?)
Is there a way to turn it off or at least reduce it to once per hour?

// Tommy
Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco calls tp-link.com, time-a.nist.gov, time.nist.gov every 10 second
2017-12-13 03:56:42
Anyone know why they are so desperately asking about the tima and calling home (E.T, phone home anyone?)

time => NTP it's normal for devices to do NTP lookups frequently
and for the device to call home might be related to the cloud setup of the router to report it's status and allow administration over the cloud
Options
Re:Deco calls tp-link.com, time-a.nist.gov, time.nist.gov every 10 second
2017-12-28 22:02:16
NTP queries should not be *that* frequent -- the NTP Pool guidelines ("Implementation specifics" section of http://www.pool.ntp.org/en/vendors.html) suggest once or twice per day, and no more than every 12-15 minutes.

TP Link should consider following the examples of Microsoft and others and run their own timeserver infrastructure for the M5s to hit. Let a few TP Link servers query something like a pool.ntp.org server, and have all our routers hammer their infrastructure if they so choose.

Tommy, did they hard code the NIST IP or can you redefine the NIST hostname on your pi-hole so that your M5 only talks to an ntpd running there?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1408

Replies: 2

Related Articles