Deco M5 and Macbook Pro Roaming problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-12-26 05:27:24
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi,
I have three Deco M5 installed in my house, working in AP mode. Several mobiles phones and Laptops are correctly roaming between the three Deco when moving around in the house (I can see the BSSID changing in diagnotics tools). However, one Macbook Pro, with El Capitan operating system does not roam at all. The only way to be connected to the closest Deco is to disable WiFi and reactivate it again.

My investigations showed that the Mac is using 5 Ghz channel 36, disregarding on which Deco it is connected

I have two questions :

Q1 :
Is it normal that the same channel is used for my SSID on the three Deco ? I was expecting that Deco's automatically negotiate different channels for the same SSID...

Q2:
If I suspect a problem on the Mac with the 5 Ghz mode, is it a mean to force the three Deco to only work in 2.4 Ghz mode ?

Thank you in advance
Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco M5 and Macbook Pro Roaming problem
2017-12-26 14:19:53
A1:
Yep, it's normal that the three Deco units use the same channel. The extension unit will copy the wireless settings automatically once added.
Deco units use the same channel to maintain the wireless connection between them.

A2:
Deco supports the standard 802.11k&v roaming protocol. It will recommend the client to roam from one BSSID to another one. However, whether to roam or not depends on the client itself.
A 5GHz capable client will always prefer to connect to the 5GHz band at first, as the 5GHz band is usually faster and with lower latency even the 5GHz signal is more weaken than 2.4GHz signal at a remote location.
Future update will add the option to set up 2.4GHz and 5GHz separately. At that time, you can force the Mac to connect to 2.4GHz only.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1425

Replies: 1

Related Articles