The truth is: Deco only updates antivirus' database every 2 months ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-12-26 06:20:23
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I was wondering why my Deco’s antivirus database was updating only when I rebooted the main Deco.

So I wrote for TP-LINK engineers to ask about that issue.

Here is the answer I received from a guy named Toby Xia:

"Dear Customer,

Yes,Deco updates antivirus database automatically and periodically.
It usually updates every 2 months.

After you reboot Deco,it will check updates from Trend Micro.
And this date will show on deco App."

I don’t know about you, Deco owners fellows, but to me, two months is an unacceptable period for a product which TP-LINK makes the advertising campaign focusing on security features. :mad:

I’m now rebooting my main Deco every single day to force the connection to Trend Micro’s database and get it updated.
Options
10 Reply
Re:The truth is: Deco only updates antivirus' database every 2 months ?
2017-12-26 14:47:19
I think you misunderstood what he said.

Antivirus database comes from Trend Micro.
Trend Micro updates antivirus database every 2 months.
If Trend Micro didn't release new Antivirus database, deco can't update antivirus database,even if you reboot it.

After you reboot deco,the date shown on app is the date you check update.
It doesn't mean you have update Antivirus database.
When new Antivirus database release,it will push to deco and deco will update it automatically.
So you don't need to reboot it everyday.
Options
2017-12-27 07:40:36
According to http://nl.tp-link.com/faq-1476.html ...

Deco’s security system consists of three parts.
- Malicious Content Filter: Blocks malicious websites that are listed in Trend Micro’s database to ensure you can safely surf the net.
- Intrusion Prevention System: Protects your network against external attacks and eliminates vulnerabilities.
- Infected Device Quarantine: Prevents infected devices from sending sensitive information or security threats to devices outside your network.

So this doesn't like it checks for the latest virus but more preventing you to connect to some unsafe websites.
So if Trend Micro updates their database only every 2 months then in these 2 months you run the risk to connect to some "new" (almost 2 month old) unsafe websites?
Options
2017-12-28 07:21:04

kunkka wrote

I think you misunderstood what he said.

Did I? Let's see about that.
Trend Micro updates antivirus database every 2 months.

Who said that?! Where have you found this piece of information?! Please, share!!!

If Trend Micro didn't release new Antivirus database, deco can't update antivirus database,even if you reboot it.

It seems that we agree on this point, but let's go to the facts and to the prints:

1) I rebooted it yesterday, and my Deco M5 system received an update from Trend Micro.

2) I rebooted it today again, and again (surprise!) and my Deco M5 system was updated.

So I printed Deco's app on my iPhone screen to post it on this Thread:

If you look carefully, you'll realize that It took 3 minutes (on a 100 Mbps connection) after reboot, to Deco M5 System download an update from Trend Micro. (It seems to be a large file...)

So there's only two possibility here:

- Trend Micro releases updates everyday

or

- Trend Micro releases updates once every two months, but Deco M5 connects to their database every time the system is rebooted, and downloads the same file.

TP-Link moderators, could you guys please give us some explanation?
Options
2017-12-28 10:40:33
Actually the update of the database is not that regular as it depends.

As for Malicious Content Filter, it's a cloud-based database and Trend Micro will update it every 3 hours. Since it's cloud-based, all the attacks will be detected online with Trend Micro's cloud server bypassing the security database embedded in Deco.

As for Intrusion Prevention System and Infected Device Quarantine, they're based on another security database. Trend Micro will make some maintenance (add/delete some rules/items) every few weeks. Thus it only updates every few weeks.
However, if any new virus/vulnerabilities appear, Trend Micro will shorten the update period and release the update asap. Once Trend Micro updates, the release will be pushed to Deco and Deco will update automatically as long as it's online.
Note: A reboot of Deco will force Deco to manually check an update. In future updates, maybe we will add the option to show the database version. At that time, you may find that every time you reboot Deco, the database version won't change unless Trend Micro release a new version.
Options
2018-05-22 06:10:30
Is there a way we can request a whitelist for false positives?
Options
2018-06-22 02:59:41
it is really very needed to the user to update the database according to the user history, It is making a margin of safety for your device, It is a very easy process to follow, to know the details process, you may follow Quick Heal Antivirus Customer Service

Options
2018-06-22 17:27:17

atjeffcoat wrote

Is there a way we can request a whitelist for false positives?

The efficient way is to send tp support an email directly.
Options
2018-08-04 23:34:58
Question, sorry if this is out of place, I know the box states it comes with free antivirus for 3 years. What happens after the 3 years? Does that mean I no longer get a firewall anymore either? Will I have to pay? Or has TP-Link stated that they will just make it free indefinitely?
Options
2018-08-06 15:57:24
Dear Customer,
Thanks for your inquiry about our product.
TP-Link HomeCare, powered by Trend Micro, is complimentary for three years from date of activation. The license begins on the date that the HomeCare router is installed and connected to the internet.
At the end of this complimentary three-year period, TP-Link HomeCare features such as Parental Controls, QoS and Antivirus may still be used. However, the databases for Antivirus and Parental Controls will not update without a paid subscription.
This FAQ (2118) will be updated to reflect any changes to the above complimentary offering prior to the end of the three-year free subscription period.

Best regards
Options
Re:Re:The truth is: Deco only updates antivirus' database every 2 months ?
2019-01-05 00:30:39

How do you arrange the paid subscription once the free period is up?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3140

Replies: 10