Can devices on Deco Wifi talk to devices on Ethernet?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-12-29 16:16:16
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello all, I have a fairly complicated home network setup, complete with in-wall cat6 Ethernet.

All my Ethernet components of my network are great, but as always, wifi is crap, So I've been researching Mesh Networks, such as Google Wifi and TP Link Deco.

I have recently removed Google Wifi from my list of suitable products, as devices connected to Wifi cannot communicate with devices on Ethernet while the Google Wifi is in Mesh mode. (Apparently it's possible to Bridge the wifi and Ethernet If you only use one single Google Wifi - Which defeats the purpose of it being a Mesh Product.)

So, To give an idea on my house network, Here's some maps.

Current Setup:
Mobile Devices and Laptops -> Three Separate Wifi Access Points -> LAN Hubs/Switches -> Current TP-Link Modem/Router <- LAN Hubs/Switches <- Multiple Hard-wired Computers and Media Servers.
Image Shows Ethernet Cables, and hard-wired devices.

These Images show the current Wifi Maps of the Three Separate Wifi Access Points.

Proposed Deco Setup:
Mobile Devices and Laptops -> Deco Devices (Multiple -Installed on Ceiling similar to Smoke Alarms) -> Current TP-Link Modem/Router <- LAN Hubs/Switches <- Multiple Hard-wired Computers and Media Servers.

Can Deco be set up so that, while in Mesh mode, a wifi device (Such as a Laptop) can see and communicate to the hard-wired devices (Such as other windows computers using SMB) - and vice-versa?
Options
3 Reply
Re:Can devices on Deco Wifi talk to devices on Ethernet?
2017-12-29 20:17:51
Thanks for your feedback.
Of course, a wifi device can see and communicate to the hard-wired devices.

Tips under this environment:
Since both the Deco mesh system and your existing router are NAT networks, you need to set up one of them as access point.
For example, if you want the old TP-Link router as the root router, then you can set up Deco in Access Point mode. Remember that some advanced features will not be available in AP mode.
You can refer to the FAQ link for more details: http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-1842.html
If you want Deco as the root router, you can set up your old router in access point mode and connect the main Deco directly to the modem.
Options
2017-12-29 20:39:09
I suggest you try using Ethernet backhaul with the M5s, since you already have switches in locations where you might want M5s. Backhaul should make your overall Wifi more reliable. You'll take a hit on local Wifi data speeds if your switched wired network can't handle gigabit traffic, but reviews show that you'll get faster local Wifi speeds if you have gigabit backhaul.

Another note: if the M5 is used in router mode, it seems that it can provide some of its protection (parental control Internet filtering and reporting at least) to wired devices (clearly things like quarantining infected devices can't protect wired devices from each other, but I'm hopeful that at least the M5 might notify me and protect Wifi devices). Unless your current router is doing something that M5 can't, you might want to replace it with an M5. Caveat: you can't yet manually set the networks and DHCP ranges for the M5, so you might face some reconfiguration headaches if you're not already using 192.168.0.0/24.
Options
2017-12-30 07:27:19
Currently the Original TP-Link Router is also our ADSL Modem, and that cannot change until at least April 2018 (Which is when the NBN network is installed) So I'm forced to use it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3987

Replies: 3