Much slower internet connection when connected via Deco M5

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-01-04 20:06:53
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I've had 3 Deco M5 units for a couple of months and have been very happy with them. I was using them with a 14Mbit ADSL2 connection, but I have recently switched to a local wireless internet provider on a 50/10 plan.

When connected via ethernet to the internet equipment I get the full 50Mbps download doing various speed tests on my iMac.

But if I connect the same ethernet cable from the internet equipment to the gateway Deco, and then using the Deco's other port connect via ethernet to the iMac I never achieve anything faster than 35Mbit. Likewise any other device connected around the house only gets 35Mbit. Why is Deco reducing the speed by 30%?

Running the Deco app's speed test feature I get about 48-49 Mbit. So it's only the data "out" of the Deco that's slow. My Deco units are all using the latest firmware. This is rather disappointing to say the least.
Options
4 Reply
Re:Much slower internet connection when connected via Deco M5
2018-01-05 18:02:35
im seeing something similar. im on a 40/10 FTTC, get 36-37 on wired into the modem, 33-35 on the deco. although its not the same reduction as you im still seeing it. i think the built in anti virus and firewall has an over head that might explain some of it. shouldn't be 30% down though.
Options
2018-01-11 10:22:54

pjam73 wrote

Why is Deco reducing the speed by 30%?

I don't know if my own experiences apply, but I had IPv4/6 problems with my ISP that caused my speeds to be reduced by about 30% as well. It might be worth looking into to see if your ISP uses IPv4/6 bridge or some other specific setup. For me, I had to use the ISP-provided router between my Deco (in router mode) and the modem.
Options
2018-01-11 16:15:19
I've partially resolved it, at least on the iMac connected directly to the gateway Deco. Turning the three options for Antivirus off made no difference, but adjusting the QoS settings did. I had it on Standard. I've switched to Custom, and set Downloading to High. That has put my speedtest.net tests in Safari (on the iMac) up to around 49Mbps. I've also set Streaming and Surfing to High too but I don't know if that made any other changes.

Running Speedtest on an iPhone 6 is still around 34 Mbps, and on an Apple TV wired into another Deco unit I get about 38. The Apple TV was already marked as a 'Priority' device but the custom QoS has improved it a bit. It's still odd that the other devices are significantly slower.

It would be great if QoS could be turned off completely.
Options
2018-01-11 16:17:56

dtnewport wrote

I don't know if my own experiences apply, but I had IPv4/6 problems with my ISP that caused my speeds to be reduced by about 30% as well. It might be worth looking into to see if your ISP uses IPv4/6 bridge or some other specific setup. For me, I had to use the ISP-provided router between my Deco (in router mode) and the modem.

My ISP by default only gives you a non-public IP address - some kind of NAT - but you can request a full public IP address. I don't think that makes any difference. They don't offer IPv6 at all (unlike my last ISP who had it for years). Changing the QoS settings has mostly improved it - see my earlier post.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1771

Replies: 4

Related Articles