Archer C7 NAS Drive through USB not showing folders or correct capacity

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-01-13 15:11:05
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

When I connected my WD Passport (1TB, USB 3.0) to the back of my Archer C7 and proceeded to the router's webpage, there were some problems with the drive's information under the USB settings tab:

- The capacity of the drive and available space were shown to be only 196 MB. There are hundreds of GBs available on the drive!
- The folders of the drive are not visible for me to set up.

The drive works perfectly well otherwise, I can access all the files on my computer through the drive. I even set up the files on it using a Plex media server with my computer, however, recently I thought hooking it up to my router would be a better idea as I don't always keep my computer on, and definitely don't have the external drive with me at all times.

By the way, it is partitioned into a backup portion and a storage portion for media, each comprising of 500 GB. It is formatted in exFAT.

What am I doing wrong? Is it an incorrect setting on the router's webpage or a missing step? Or do I have to reformat my drive?
Options
2 Reply
Re:Archer C7 NAS Drive through USB not showing folders or correct capacity
2018-01-14 10:33:56
I figured it out. Archer C7 does not support exFAT.
Options
Re:Archer C7 NAS Drive through USB not showing folders or correct capacity
2020-03-26 21:26:36

@preet Newer models, e.g. C8 do support exFAT.  Below from: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2289/ :

1. Check hard drive format type

Currently, the FAT/FAT32/NTFS format is supported and some models like C8/C9/C2600/P5 also support exfat/hfs+. However, it does not support ext3, which is a Linux partition format.

2. Check Capacity

TP-Link router supports at most eight partitions in theory, if the hard drive has more than eight partitions, it just loads the first 8 partitions. (On the same drive, the total capacity of each partition cannot exceed 2TB for WR842N, WR1043N, WDR3500, WDR3600, WDR4300; If there are different hard drives connected via an USB hub, in theory the router can detects a maximum capacity of 8 * 2TB. Similarly, the other models with USB function like archer routers, the total capacity of each partition of usb drive cannot exceed 5TB).

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2604

Replies: 2