Internet connectivity issue with Archer C7, version v4 with NAT Boost enabled, after PPPoE reconnects

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Internet connectivity issue with Archer C7, version v4 with NAT Boost enabled, after PPPoE reconnects

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-01-15 06:50:53
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have the following issue with TP-Link Archer C7, version v4. [HW Archer C7 v4.0; FW 1.0.5 Build 20171101 rel.37754(4555)]
With NAT Boost enabled, after PPPoE reconnects (I suspect), the internet connection becomes unusable.

Here are a few symptoms describing the issue.
- ping is ok
- any simple google search has a delay of 5-20 seconds,
- listening to some online radio stations works intermittently - always breaking up after less than 20 seconds,
- speedtest.net cannot measure speed but shows an error,
- trying to download any file "works" in gaps, showing no progress for 5-30 seconds, and very slow progress in between
Looking into the router's log showed that every time before such an event, something NAT related is reinitialized successfully.
(multiple lines like this 2018-01-14 11:33:34 nat[1590]: <6> 211501 Initialization succeeded). I suspect a PPPoE reconnect could trigger that.
In order to fix this, I need to reboot the router every time.

I am also able to reproduce the problem manually, by disconnecting and reconnecting PPPoE from the router user interface when NAT Boost is enabled and I get exactly the symptoms described above.
With NAT Boost disabled, the issue does not occur on PPPoE disconnects, but obviously that would affect performance.
Tried all available firmware versions for Archer C7, version v4, region EU, and it happens with all of them.

Can someone reproduce this issue? I would be also curious to know how much the performance would be affected by disabling NAT Boost, say for a 300mbit connections or for a 1Gbit connection. Any advice?
Please let me know it there is a more official place to report the issue, I think or returning the product.
Options
5 Reply
additional info
2018-01-31 00:36:52
I was able to reproduce the issue in 2 different locations, being connected by wire or wireless to different computers (actually it does not matter if a computer is connected or not), and by disconnecting/reconnecting PPPoE from the admin user interface or physically (unplug/plug WAN).
I returned the first C7 v4 and got another C7 v4, the issue is still present.
A C7 v2 router does not have this problem, but it is not sold anymore.

By disabling NAT Boost, I was told that the router would not exceed ~300-350mbit, so it cannot get close to gigabit speeds.

It is a firmware problem and would appreciate some support on this! Anyone there?
Options
Re:Internet connectivity issue with Archer C7, version v4 with NAT Boost enabled, after PPPoE reconnects
2018-08-02 14:51:40
Hi, I'm having the same issue, everything is fine in terms of ISP, they've done all the checks required and concluded that the issue is somewhere after their equipment, checking the internet I see that there are plenty of issues reported by people in the same country with the same ISP, labeled as compatibility issues between RCS & RDS ISP and my router archer C7. If I disable the NAT boost it will work just fine, however the bandwidth is reduced to 250-350 mbts. Also, if trying to test my speed it goes fine at the start then it starts to drop to ~200mbts where an error is received... Can anyone have a look into this issue?
Options
Re:Internet connectivity issue with Archer C7, version v4 with NAT Boost enabled, after PPPoE reconnects
2018-09-15 05:19:22
Contact Tp-Link support from your country. Is the best way to report the problem and you know for shure that they will receive it...
Options
2019-12-21 20:53:12

@SFeri 

Same issue here (since lets say 2 yr, temp solution: unplug/plug WAN) im from Polnad EU. Just got  Hardware Version: Archer C7 v4.0 firmware updated

from

Software Version: 1.0.7 Build 20180425 rel.62587

to:

Software Version:: 1.0.8 Build 20190411 rel. 65590 (4555)

Debugging ON, let's keep an eye on it and see if internet conn. drops again...

Options
2020-05-26 20:22:58 - last edited 2020-05-26 20:23:32

@SFeri 

Same here. C7 4.0, firmware 1.0.8 Build 20190411 rel. 65590.

Kicks off internet, have to reset to pull it back. Happens every few days. Very frustrating. Giving up, getting a new router today.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3124

Replies: 5