RE580D Extender or AP500 Access Point - for CLIENT setup? Help!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-02-14 01:21:57
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I need some help in choosing the best product for my needs.

I have a fast fibre connection tot he home and downstairs get excellent speeds (300mbps) over wifi, and have downstairs all ethernet cabled out.

However upstairs we have a home office and currently use a WA901ND access point setup in CLIENT mode to give connection to a switch and in turn printer/desktop computer/voip phone etc.

It’s working ok but feel the speeds re rather outdated now (normal iMac wifi connection is actually faster than the WA901ND) as obviously its only an N device and want to upgrade to an AC 5Ghz device to get the best bandwidth.

Now, I’ve looked at the RE580D (AC1900) WiFi Extender, and the AP500 (AC1900) Access Point.

Firstly is the AP500 now obsolete as most sellers in the UK have it listed as “end of life” in which case what has superseded it?

It seemed to offer me what I wanted, use as a CLIENT, good throughput to give me as close to the 300mbps as possible upstairs etc, but then again so does the RE580 and it would negate the need for a switch (as it has 4 built in ethernet ports) ? I really don’t need, or necessarily want to extend the Wifi however so would turn that off in either product, I just want the fasted CLIENT link to my ethernet devices?

Which is best? (Oh and they are both similar prices on Amazon).

Thanks

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 544

Replies: 0