Archer c3200 LAN/Workgroup name in samba

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-03-13 09:19:12
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi All

Was wondering if there was a workaround for the settings of the C3200 wifi-router, to allow the defining of the device into a named workgroup, the reason for this is that while under windows the c3200 can be seen and accessed it is now been made part of the Lans workgroup, as such my other linux based pc and devices donot recognise it as being part of my workgroup, but instead it is placed in the "WORKGROUP", making network browsing a pain as you have to navigate out of the main workgroup and into the other to find resources attached to it.

All my other devices including my old adsl router (Asus DSL-AC68U it has a define field for the workgroup/lan name in it's config pages) configuration to allow you to define your workgroup.

What would be ideal is a modification to the LAN section of the c3200's config section to add this option for defining the workgroup, as during adding smb shares to a hdd that's connected to the usb ports already edits the smb.conf file anyways.

Ideas welcome

Andy
Options
6 Reply
Re:Archer c3200 LAN/Workgroup name in samba
2018-03-13 21:53:18
Hi Andy,

Not quite understand the "Workgroup", can you post a screenshot of it?
Options
2018-03-14 00:07:53
Go: advanced > usb settings > sharing access > Network/Media Server Name: Archer_C3200_ReplaceHere
Options
2018-03-14 01:52:02

igortrix wrote

Go: advanced > usb settings > sharing access > Network/Media Server Name: Archer_C3200_ReplaceHere

Thanks for the reply but this only allows you to assign the device a name, that name then appears in the WORKGOUP that it would be a part of, i.e. as under windows going to the network section of file explorer you can view other machines on your lan.

Worgroup Name and device name are completely different in networks
Options
2018-03-14 01:53:54

Shield101 wrote

Hi Andy,

Not quite understand the "Workgroup", can you post a screenshot of it?

Hi Shield101, here is a bit more of an explanation:-

Computers on a network can be part of a workgroup or a domain. The main difference between workgroups and domains is how resources on the network are managed. Computers on home networks are usually part of a workgroup, and computers on workplace networks are usually part of a domain.

Under windows 10 choose system properties, and it can be defined in the computer Name tab, under linux the computer name can be set by editing the hostname file located in /etc

The workgroup name is defined in /etc/samba/smb.conf in the [global] section as workgroup = UNICORN
Options
2018-03-14 11:14:26
I don't see tplink router can do that.
Options
2018-03-15 06:33:51

flying snow wrote

I don't see tplink router can do that.

Hi Flying Snow

As the router has samba installed to control the sharing of HDD's, the global section of it's config file holds within it the default ability to set the workgroup name, from what i see of the gpl code for this router it is based on one of the many flavours of linux, maybe debian?

as such adding the option to set a Lan name to the advanced settings LAN section as per my example, would be a matter of adding one input to taht page and having it write it to smb.conf here is an example from a raspberry pi debian install

[CODE][global]
# Change this to the workgroup/NT-domain name your Samba server will part of
workgroup = UNICORN
netbios name = Mailer
dns proxy = no
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 1000
syslog = 0
panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
server role = standalone server
passdb backend = tdbsam
obey pam restrictions = yes
unix password sync = yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdate$
pam password change = yes
map to guest = bad user
usershare allow guests = yes[/CODE]

And this for the admin page:-

Will probably forward to tp-link and ask if possible addition, as it would be worth while.

regards
Andy
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1781

Replies: 6

Related Articles