WR902AC - Quick Setup of client mode leaves 5GHz network open, with access to LAN!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

WR902AC - Quick Setup of client mode leaves 5GHz network open, with access to LAN!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-04-16 18:46:49
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have set up the WR902AC according to the Quick Start guide. I am using Client mode to connect to my 2.4GHz WPA2-PSK network.

After the WR902AC is set up and connected, the default "TP-Link_C627_5G" network shows up as OPEN - no password required. Any computer can join this network, and has direct unprotected access to my 2.4GHz network. This is a severe security problem.

Has anyone else experienced this? Please tell me I'm just doing something wrong here. I precisely followed the instructions in the Quick Start guide.
Options
3 Reply
Re:WR902AC - Quick Setup of client mode leaves 5GHz network open, with access to LAN!
2018-04-17 14:45:04
If the TL-WR902AC works at client mode, it can be only connected via wired connection.
It won't provide wireless connection any more. In that case, there is no internet access even you can connect to that default tplink SSID.
Therefore, there is no much difference even you can connect to it because you can't access it.
Options
Re:WR902AC - Quick Setup of client mode leaves 5GHz network open, with access to LAN!
2018-04-17 16:21:31
That's not what I am experiencing. Here are the repro steps:

1. Set selector switch on chassis to Client mode
2. Factory reset using reset button
3. Connect to TP-Link_* default network from laptop
4. Navigate to 192.168.0.1 in browser
5. Go through Quick Setup for Client mode, as described in manual, connecting to WPA2-PSK protected 2.4GHz network
6. Router will reboot
7. Observe that both TP-Link_* network are still visible, with the 5GHz network being unprotected (no password at all)
8. Connect to TP-Link_* 5GHz network from laptop
9. Observe you can ping hosts on the LAN and even go to the internet, all from the 5GHz unprotected network

I have reproduced this several times, from two different laptops.
Options
2019-12-04 22:11:02

@brockamer I confirm the issue.

You can shut the 5G by going to Wireless 5GHz > Extended Network and uncheck Enable.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1157

Replies: 3