Weak Signal on RE200 (EU) V2

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-05-30 05:08:17
Model : RE200

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version : 18.04.12

ISP :

This story starts with me buying for my family the TL-WA850RE (EU) V2, which was, as expected, a rollercoaster ride due to the known instability of it's firmware. Why I did not create an account here earlier, I do not know. In hindsight, this should have been my course of action. That ended about a moth ago, with me losing my composure over the TL-850RE's stock firmware, so I flashed L.E.D.E. (now merged with OpenWRT) on it, which worked spectacularly, except for the fact that I still haven't gotten the hang of getting it to function as a range extender, rather than a standalone router or WiFi "adapter", at which point, due to my limited time, I decided to restore the stock firmware. The only problem was, that I did not "strip" the stock firmware image, which resulted in a brick. I take all responsibility for what has happened, which is why I am not going to burden anyone with it (I am trying to learn serial programming, so that I can revive our TL-WA850RE, and my NETGEAR DM200, which I had accidentally unplugged while it was doing a system upgrade (also on L.E.D.E)). Fast forward to yesterday, when we got the RE200 (EU) V2 (after I researched properly as to it's stability), and I can happily say that none of our woes from the TL-WA850RE have carried on to the RE200, which is rock solid. The only issue is, that while the TL-WA850RE's firmware was unstable, it's reception was very good (3-4 out of 5 bars, mostly 4), whereas the RE200 always has weak reception (always solid red on 2.4GHz, most of the time 5GHz light is off), despite it's stability. I realize that the TL-WA850RE V2 has superior hardware (due to it using a Qualcomm chipset), compared to the RE200's (MediaTek chipset), however I know that even MediaTek has good offerings, and that the weak signal on the RE200 can be remedied, which is what I am asking for (If this was solely for my own use, I would also ask to continuously test the beta firmwares). The current setup, is as follows: TP-LINK TD-W9970 (latest stock firmware), serving as a modem (until my NETGEAR DM200 is revived and running properly on OpenWRT); Xiaomi Mi 3 Router (Padavan firmware, planning on moving over to OpenWRT), serving as the main router (via bridging)(I want to replace it with the Mi 3G, with OpenWRT); These are on the first/second floor, at one edge of the house (our wall network outlets are not in the best locations). TP-LINK RE200 (latest stock firmware), serving as the network extender (hoping to readd the TL-WA850RE, once it is up and running again, and properly works as an extender on OpenWRT); This is in the kitchen, which is on the ground/first floor. Nothing needed yet on the kids'/-1st/ground floor. The RE200 is in the same exact outlet in the kitchen (close to the ceiling, and the doorway next to the stairs) as the TL-WA850RE was, and the Xiaomi Mi 3 Router has not moved from it's location, and there are no additional barriers to the wireless signal. I am glad that even the download speeds are consistent, even if they are halved (something I also wish would be taken care of), at 1.7-2.2 MB/s, in comparison to the up to 2.2 MB/s, which would quickly drop to 200-500 KB/s before disconnecting altogether on the TL-WA850RE, and the 3.9-4.1 MB/s directly on the main router. A word to end this long (and probably tiring) post, for anyone who may be confused as to my final verdict of this extender: Despite it's shortcomings (which can be remedied via firmware updates), I will definitely recommend the RE200, due to it's stability.
Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 1082

Replies: 0