M5 with new TalkTalk WiFi Hub

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-06-08 17:49:45
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi all, I purchased the M5 in May and set this up in Router mode. Quite happy with the coverage and functions for parental control and QoS for managing the WiFi (have a family full of gadgets/consoles).

This was connected into a TalkTalk HG633 router which only had 100mbps switch and as a result my Time Machine backups to my gigabit Synology NAS (through a connected gig switch into the router) was quite woeful (1mbps), so something had to change. I also use the NAS to stream content to my Apple TV, etc.

I managed to change the router to the new TalkTalk WiFi Hub, mainly for a gigabit LAN.

Still same woeful speeds.

Changed from Router to Access Point mode and it all changed and was much better, which was the problem all along. I also had issues with my WiFi devices not being on the same network as the wired ones, as most advertised services do not traverse subnets, causing issues.

So now my dilemma. How do I run the M5 in router mode and have a fast LAN? The new router doesn't allow you to change many settings, and certainly not bridge mode. I am not using the WiFi on the hub which seems a shame, as its meant to have excellent WiFi.

This is a map of my network.

Home Network Map.pdf

[*]Should I advertise the router WiFi with the same SSID as the M5?
[*]How do I change back to Router mode and still keep expected performance?
[*]Do I need to remove the router completely and just have the M5 connected - how is this connected to the broadband btw?
I can't be the only one thinking like this or having these issues?

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Just to confirm, all I want to do is to have a fast LAN where all devices can talk to each other (preferably advertising services over subnets) using the Router mode to allow me to control the network using the tools provided.

Thanks.

Neal
Options
7 Reply
Re:M5 with new TalkTalk WiFi Hub
2018-06-13 17:46:43
If you want to use Deco along with your existing router, do the following:
Define a different network name (SSID) and password from those of your current network. Running Deco with the same SSID might lead to technical problems.

If possible, turn off your existing router’s Wi-Fi. You will then have a single SSID for your whole network, with minimal wireless interference. This will ensure a reliable internet connection and seamless roaming.

If you want all the devices communicate each other, it's better to set Deco M5 at access point mode.

In that case, all the ip address are assigned by your original router.
Options
2018-06-14 03:19:39
Have very similar problem ... :(
Options
2018-06-14 13:03:45
Have a similar set up with Sky Q Hub.

Family members who connect to the Deco Mesh Wifi are reporting occasional very slow internet. I connect direct to Sky Q (either Sky WiFi or hard wired) and experience no speed issues.

I don't want to put Deco in Access Point mode. The parental controls feature is very important to me, and one of the reasons I chose Deco. My ISP (Sky) insist that their Hub must be connected to the WAN (broadband), so I cannot remove it.
Options
Anyone from TP-LINK care to comment?
2018-06-14 17:06:22
Thanks for your replies. I think there is a requirement here to get the M5 working in AP mode with parental controls, etc. Can TP-LINK comment and assist please?
Options
2018-06-15 08:39:48
There's nothing anyone (not even TP-link) can do to make parental controls work with Access Point mode - without acting as a router the traffic does not pass through all the network stack on the Deco, so there's no way it can filter it.

If you want to use your Deco to filter the access, why don't you put it between the TalkTalk hub and the internal TPLink switch and have it in Router mode? That way all your home traffic would be on the same (LAN) network and only traffic out to the world would be passing through the Deco's routing/filtering functions.

As it is set up in your diagram traffic from your NAS to a wifi device is passing through the parental controls, etc, which is likely to be a performance bottleneck...
Options
2018-06-15 17:57:15
Just as ajharvey explained, it can't keep parental control work with Access Point mode.

I consulted this function before with tp-link and got the same answer.
Options
2018-06-22 20:59:10
Ok, I'll try and put the M5 between the router and switch and see what happens. Does the M5 serve wired clients for DHCP and DNS? Note the new TalkTalk WiFi Hub is not very configurable, so cannot be put into bridge mode, so thus will still be routing and natting.

The reason I changed to AP mode was due to performance.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2072

Replies: 7

Related Articles