M5 Deco keep disconnecting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-06-12 16:47:12
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi there, I have been using M5 deco for a week. After I disconnected all my routers this week and hook deco onto my broadband modem, everything seems find for the 1st 2hours. Subsequently, the nodes all turn red and basically the whole internet disappear from my home. I reinstall everything and the exact same thing happens twice. Any advices fromnthe tech support will be helpful. I am using optic fibre link to a Paces modem provided by my ISP. Tried the daisy chain and still got disconnected. I am using 6 nodes for my 4 storey house.Thanks,Lye
Options
6 Reply
Re:M5 Deco keep disconnecting
2018-06-13 16:34:57
Do you use the latest FW?
When you lost connection, how can you get them reconnected? restart?
Try to unplug all the RE units to see whether it will lose connection frequently.
For your case, it's better send email to support@tp-link.com directly with your detailed information to get further help from tech support.
Options
2018-06-19 08:29:55
Bottom line -- they appear to work for a little while, but don't do so consistently enough to provide a reliable service.

I've got 3 Deco M5s running in Access Point mode and this should be easy peasy -- no policies, no firewall stuff, just WiFi and the mesh connectivity to make a bridged network.
But they don't stay in "green" mode for long, with some or all of them going into "blinking red" mode at random intervals.

The diagnostics to analyze why they are failing are non-existent. When they aren't working the iPhone app generally says "We couldn't find Deco.". And even says so often when the light is green. Why doesn't it try to use Bluetooth to contact them like it uses for setup when it can't get to the cloud server?

If you catch it when they are working you get "All Decos are online; Deco is working well." but you can't get it to tell you why it was just blinking red a few minutes ago. And sometimes when "All Decos are online" it only shows 2 out of 3 of them.

This is with the latest firmware, 1.1.6, which apparently hasn't been updated since before Thanksgiving -- guess the programmers at TP-Link are all working on newer, more important projects.

As an example, my VDSL2 modem/router saw the ethernet port to the Deco go down 4 times in about 2 minutes, then come back up 3 seconds after failing each time (the light stays blinking red for much longer than just the 3 seconds). And I'm not moving the Decos or changing any wired connections -- you'd think once they got the "mesh stuff" working they'd just stick with it.

I wish they'd just post the software on Github so people who know what they're doing could just fix it themselves. Or at least push diagnostics up to the cloud (when things seem to be working) where we could look at them through a TP-Link support web page.

If you enjoy going around your house pulling the power plugs and putting them back in all day to reset the software then this is the networking solution for you.
Options
2018-06-20 04:25:14
Is your Deco unit that is connected to your modem setup as 'Router' mode? The rest can be in AP mode.
Options
2018-06-20 15:51:36
Have you tried chaning the place of the deco units? try to change the places.
What's the LAN ip address of your main router?
If it's 192.168.0.1, you can try to change it into another subnet, such as 192.168.10.1
Options
All AP
2018-06-23 08:22:52

rajivhifi wrote

Is your Deco unit that is connected to your modem setup as 'Router' mode? The rest can be in AP mode.

All are in AP mode. One connects to the the Frontier VDSL modem/router (ethernet cable) which handles all the "router stuff" like DHCP, etc. All the Decos do get their IP addresses from the VDSL router and they do do bridging sometimes.
Options
2018-12-13 21:25:46

When you provision the AP, you can statically assign an IP address.  There is an IP settings section and you can fill in IP address, Subnet mask , Gateway, DNS and domain name. The IP will reboot with that IP address.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2112

Replies: 6

Related Articles