Need advise on set-up

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Need advise on set-up

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Need advise on set-up
Need advise on set-up
2018-06-19 05:04:24
Model : TL-WA901ND

Hardware Version : 5.0

Firmware Version : 5.0

ISP : Virgin Fibre Broadband

Hi All,

Need some expert advise on my set-up and some guidance on the queries below.

Got Virgin fibre broadband and disappointed with the Superhub 3.0 wireless reach and strength. This seems to be a common issue with the superhub and hence bought 3 X TL-WA901ND and set them up in the following manner:
Turned off wireless (both channels) on the Virgin superhub on ground floor, configured the 901ND as an AP, connected the 901ND to superhub via LAN cable. More importantly, I changed the SSID and PWD on 901ND to mimic my superhub SSID as I have multiple devices connecting to the superhub and do not want to go through the pain of changing wireless preference on each of them.

Second 901ND in repeater mode and place in the garage, providing coverage to garden and garage.

Third 901ND in repeater mode and placed in the converted loft providing coverage in the loft and first floor.
Although the second and third 901ND's have significantly improved the coverage, I have the following issues with the first 901ND in AP mode:

1. I checked the wifi speed on my mobile device using a speed checker and surprisingly, the speed has reduced to half compared to what the superhub was giving me. The speed goes back to normal as soon as I activate the 5 GHz channel on the superhub (but 2.4GHz still off). I am starting to believe there is an issue with my set-up or that the 901ND in AP mode is not that effective.

2. I am not able to login to the web interface for the AP or the extender using 192.168.0.254. The wireless IP address still shows my superhub IP.

3. Do I even need the AP? Would it be still the same to just have 2 901NDs in repeater modes in the above mentioned location?

Thanks in advance!
Options
5 Reply
Re:Need advise on set-up
2018-06-19 19:46:24

MysticPuzzle wrote

Hardware Version : Not Clear

You find the hardware version when you look at the Status page of the administration interface.

And also System Tools >> Firmware Upgrade
Options
2018-06-19 21:06:53
Got it. Hardware version update in the original post now.
Options
2018-06-20 17:39:02

MysticPuzzle wrote

Turned off wireless (both channels) on the Virgin superhub on ground floor, configured the 901ND as an AP, connected the 901ND to superhub via LAN cable. More importantly, I changed the SSID and PWD on 901ND to mimic my superhub SSID

Are the 2nd and 3rd 901ND also connected via LAN cable or Wireless?

If the former (Ethernet cable), methinks that they should all be configured as AP, all with the same SSID and password.

Under this condition you would also not to have to disable the wireless on the Router.
Options
2018-06-21 00:55:59

L.Willms wrote

Are the 2nd and 3rd 901ND also connected via LAN cable or Wireless?

The 2nd and 3rd 901ND are connected via wireless and serving as repeaters/range extenders.
Options
2018-06-21 04:39:53

MysticPuzzle wrote

Hardware Version : 5.0

ISP : Virgin Fibre Broadband

2. I am not able to login to the web interface for the AP or the extender using 192.168.0.254. The wireless IP address still shows my superhub IP.

3. Do I even need the AP? Would it be still the same to just have 2 901NDs in repeater modes in the above mentioned location?

re 2: disconnect your AP from the "Superhub" and connect it directly to a PC, so that you can change the IP address of the AP. The three APs should, of course, have three different IP addresses. I think that it is best for such type of device to assign it a fixed IP address instead of assigning one dynamically via DHCP.

re 3: sure. In case you are using them as WDS Repeaters, and the WLAN coverage of the "Superhub" is sufficient, that would be enough. OTOH, I would interconnect the APs via the wired Ethernet LAN. The wireless bandwith would be reserved for the clients, and the network-internal traffic would be go via the Ethernet wires.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 633

Replies: 5

Related Articles