Archer C1200 OpenVPN cannot connect each time after router reboot

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-06-21 09:27:14
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi,

I've an issue with OpenVPN with this router. Port 1194 used with both protocol TCP or UDP. I'm using dlinkddns dyndns and router set to reboot daily using timer.
Current workaround is after each reboot I changed the protocol and save. Then generate the certificate again and use it.

Current firmware: 1.0.0 Build 20180502 rel.45702 (EU)
Hardware version: Archer C1200 v1.0

Client log file:

Options
2 Reply
Re:Archer C1200 OpenVPN cannot connect each time after router reboot
2018-06-21 12:06:18
Anybody having same issue? Thank you.
Options
Re:Archer C1200 OpenVPN cannot connect each time after router reboot
2020-02-21 07:41:58

Fix for me (using a C2300):

Log into router, click on "Advanced", choose the "System Tools" section, and "Time Settings" under that. Set both NTP servers to "pool.ntp.org" and reboot the router. Any existing OpenVPN configuration should now work again.

Explanation:

I was having a similar problem on the C2300 -- an exceptionally good router except for this bug. After some hard research and experimentation, I figured out my specific issue: the router's time.

Like most encrypted communication protocols on the internet, OpenVPN's protocols require the two communicating parties (VPN client and VPN server) have time that's roughly calibrated. The router calibrates its own time via NTP through nist.gov's servers. For some reason, the C2300's firmware dislikes these NTP servers, and so for me its time was perpetually stuck in the past leading to the VPN issues.

Luckily, pool.ntp.org works -- I set both time servers to this, problem solved. It pulls the right time after booting up, and OpenVPN works fine after reboot now, even with the latest firmware.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1279

Replies: 2