Any way to disable extended wifi?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-06-27 15:16:28
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WA860RE

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 3.14.8 Build 140827 Rel.34945n

ISP : BT

I purchased this to connect a NAS drive wirelessly to my router. For information on my setup, I have the extender plugged in under my desk, with the both the power cable and the ethernet cable for the nas drive going to it. The extender then connects to my router via wifi.

Both devices have a static ip, and work well enough.

I named the wifi network on the extender differently so that other devices don't connect to it, and also disabled DHCP.

However, in the network list on my laptop, I can see the network name.

Is there any way to turn this part off while still allowing the extender to work how I need it to?

Naming the network the same as the SSID from my router is not an option, as there are other devices connected via wifi to my router, and they would likely end up connecting to the wrong one.

The reason for wanting to do this is mainly to keep the wireless network list down to a minimum, since i'm using it as a wireless bridge rather than an extend
Options
4 Reply
Re:Any way to disable extended wifi?
2018-06-29 14:22:40
Hey, you can hide SSID on the web UI of extender.
After that, the wireless network is still working but it's invisible.
Options
2018-07-12 16:08:33
Came here to ask the same question. In my scenario a cheap USB dongle would work as well because I connect to a PC, but since I have a TL-WA850RE lying around, I might as well use that.

The reason I want to actually disable the WiFi AP feature and only use it as a WiFi client, is that I'm afraid leaving the AP feature on might cause interference. Hiding the SSID doesn't do that.

In any case, thanks for your answer.
Options
2018-07-17 16:34:37
It receives and sends internet through wired and wireless connection.

If we disable wireless,it can only receive network via ethernet and there is no way to send traffic statistics.

in that case, I don't think it will work properly if we disable Wi-Fi.
Options
2018-07-18 08:03:12
Sure, if WiFi was completely disabled, it wouldn't function anymore, so we don't want that. I want the Range Extender to behave like a WiFi client *only*, and not as an access point. A hidden access point still is an access point. It probably just isn't possible though, so I'll go with hiding the SSID for now.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 8698

Replies: 4

Related Articles