Should I use AP mode?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Should I use AP mode?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Should I use AP mode?
Should I use AP mode?
2018-06-30 17:15:36
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I just got my Deco M5 system and am wondering if I should use AP mode.

Situation:
3 floor house, I have 6 M5 units. One is setup to my Router (on floor 1) and it my main unit, I have 2 units on floor 2 and 3. As I have 1 wired cable to my router on each floor, I plugged one M5 unit on floor 2 and one on floor 3 to this cabled internet connection.

What do I experience:
- M5 unit on 3nd floor sometimes looses connection (the one wired into the router by cable)
- wireless speed on floor 2 and 3 is disappointing, even when I am standing close to the M5 unit that is wired to my router (on floor 1 close to the main M5 unit wireless internet is fast)

So I wonder:
- with this setup, should I use AP mode? Will that make a difference?
- should my wired connection to the M5's on floor 2 and 3 go through the M5 on floor 1 (they now are connected directly to the router, I did the setup all through wifi and cabled the units afterwards).

Any help would be highly appreciated (probably newly questions, I could not find the answers on this forum)

SOLVED:
- I now have solved my issue and have good and fast wifi everywhere. I did not switch to AP mode but it had to do with the way I dod connect my M5 units to cabled internet. The mistake I had made is that I had a cable between my router and 3 different M5 units. That did not work well. What I learned is that to pass cabled internet between M5 units (backhaul), you need to have a cable running directly from one M5 to another one. You can have switches in between, that is no issue. The setup I have now is the following:

- Router enters the house with internet signal
- Router goes to M5 (main unit)
- I have a switch from this M5 (main unit) - from this switch I have cables to two other M5 units. These units will connect to the M5 main unit through the cable and have great signal. My other (non wired) M5's now connect in the mesh network and everything is great everywhere.
Important to realise is to first add M5 units while NOT connecting the wired cables - the cables need to be connected later.
As said, I did not switch to AP mode.
Options
1 Reply
Re:Should I use AP mode?
2018-07-03 10:41:29
very useful sharing~
Yes, when we establish the mesh network, the other Deco units should be connect with main Deco not the original router.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1000

Replies: 1

Related Articles