Archer C8 v3.0 5GHz problems

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-07-04 17:51:04
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I got this router about half a year ago.
Very soon I noticed 5GHz performance on my notebook was unreliable, sometimes it would run OK but then all of a sudden I would experience a lot of packet loss, random lag spikes (even over 5-8k ms) or just no connection at all.
I made sure the firmware was up to date, I tried tinkering with settings, I tried factory resets, nothing helped.
Also, the issues were not range related as it happened even when the notebook was right next to the router. And surprisingly I found out that it's the only 5GHz router in range so no interference either.
So I contacted customer support and I was told they are not aware of such issues and the problem must be on my end.
My notebook is a bit older and even before contacting customer support I was suspecting my WiFi card might be the problem so I accepted that I'll just have to get by with 2.4GHz connection.

However recently I spent a week at a friend's place (who has Archer C7) and I noticed I had absolutely no issues with 5GHz connection there.
So when I got home I decided to investigate a bit more.
I connected my Xbox via the 5GHz network - the exact same issues as on the Windows based notebook.
Then I brought my work MacBook home and that wouldn't even connect to the 5GHz network despite being able to see it.
I checked with a couple more devices and all were experiencing at least some of the issues.

So it really seems that the issue is with the router after all.
From everything I read online and everything I tried I believe that beamforming is causing these problems since it's the only thing that can't be turned off in the settings and it would explain why the issues are not constant but still occur on regular basis.

What can I do? Any advice?

Thanks!
Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer C8 v3.0 5GHz problems
2018-07-09 00:09:37
I assume you have powered the router down and up.
Have you added any new devices such as a weather station to your home that uses radio signals that may cause interference?
Try moving the router a bit and the antennas. radio signals can be strange.
Last I would try resetting the router and re-enter the config.
Options
2018-07-09 21:39:42
Never had any issues with my C8 V1 on the 5ghz band. I probably had 7 or 8 devices using it. I have recently switched to an Asus router because they support their older models with firmware updates. The model I bought is the same vintage as the C8V1 and it's had 3 firmware updates this year!
Options
2020-05-18 12:46:10

@Forw i'm having the exactly same issue. I also have the same Archer c8 v3.0 on the last firmware.

I only see the ssid right next to the router. when it connects i can't access the web interface of the Archer or internet.

On 2.4hz everything works fine.

You found any solution?

Thanks

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1018

Replies: 3

Related Articles