W8960N v7 QoS Quality of Service setup problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-08-09 20:13:16
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi everyone

The current network topology for the router is as follows:

W8960N -> LAN port 1 -> PC1
-> LAN port 2 -> PC2
-> LAN port 3 -> (Empty)
-> LAN port 4 -> CAT5E connection to Wifi Range extender Netis E1 -> Various WiFi devices that includes TV with streaming capabilities.
-> WiFi -> Various WiFi devices

The router has the latest available firmware (for South African region where it was purchased).

In the pictures attached is the current QoS setup. I'm trying to give latency and or traffic priority to some devices and programs (like games) over others (like the streaming TV and downloads).

Queue wise, it has a very basic 2 queue setup for high priority traffic, currently named 'Games' with the highest precendence of 1 and one for default traffic of precedence 6.
Classification wise, the rules are supposed to put all traffic (both incoming and outgoing) traffic from PC 2 with the Mac address shown on the highest priority queue. I realise that the Port rule for the RUST game is actually included with the all-encompassing MAC rule. The MAC rule was added afterwards to try and mitigate any errors should the ports be incorrect in the first rule.

The reason for this simple setup is simply to test if the QoS hardware/rules function correctly before adding more complex classifications and multiple queues.

I have a couple of questions:

1. The issue is that the rules don't actually to anything to the traffic, as far as I can notice. I tested it by running a torrent on a main-router-WiFi laptop while looking at the latency both in game and in command prompt. The latency always goes up. I've also used an ftp server on the same laptop to simulate traffic, but the results remain the same. Are the classification rules/queue setup correct?

2. On the QoS Classification - Add rule page, the interface can be Local, LAN1-4, ppp0/atm0 (routed) and wl0. Does the 'Local' interface include all local traffic (wl0 and LAN1-4)?

3. There is no classification rule to add 'default' traffic to a queue... does the router do this automatically (i.e. it's there but just not shown) or does it need to be added in some way? In which case it could be a solution to question 1.

4. How does the router distinguish between inbound and outbound traffic (from internet to local device or vice versa)? I tried to cater for both cases by adding separate rules for the traffic types in the classification page.

I am well aware of the FAQ for the router on QoS (https://www.tp-link.com/au/faq-533.html) and have implemented both that and my own, slightly altered version of it to test QoS on this router.

Any help regarding incorrect implementation or fixing the original issue would be greatly appreciated.
File:
QoS Class1.jpgDownload
QoS Class2corrected.jpgDownload
QoS Class Interface.jpgDownload
QoS screen.jpgDownload
Queue Config.jpgDownload
Options
4 Reply
Re:W8960N v7 QoS Quality of Service setup problem
2018-08-15 14:31:56
Bump
Options
2018-08-15 17:34:45
Qos is not the same as a bandwidth control. According to the wikipedia saying: In the field of computer networking and other packet-switched telecommunication networks, quality of service refers to traffic prioritization and resource reservation control mechanisms rather than the achieved service quality. Quality of service is the ability to provide different priority to different applications, users, or data flows , or to guarantee a certain level of performance to a data flow.
The priority can take effect while your bandwidth is fully used and get slow in internet. If your bandwidth is not fully used in a time, why did the software restrict the low priority services?

Except this, the Qos is meant to set queue for datas but it can not enhance the queue capacity. capacity is depends on the router's performance. A simple example is that if there are flood of data coming which is our of the capacity, some of high priority data will be senttogether with a few low priority data, however, many of other data will be delayed or even discard.
That is why the network delay will absolutely goes up.

Options
2018-08-15 18:07:56
Thanks for the reply.

Regarding the first question, to my understanding having different queues set up for different types, with queues themselves receiving higher weights (with Weighted Fair Queuing/ WFQ being implemented here and not WRR). These differing weights allows different amounts of traffic to pass through the interface. The relative amounts being specified with your weight number. As I understand the mechanism, it cycles through the queues sequentially, passing these traffic amounts through the interface. Queues themselves have precedences, but I'm not sure exactly how that fits into the scheme. So QoS functions as "traffic prioritization" effectively allowing control over latencies as well.

I understand that the queue capacity is fixed... this is where the Assured Forwarding classes with their respective drop probabilities come into action.... specifying exactly which traffic type (marked with these classes in your classification rules) gets dropped first.

One other "hint" I have that what I am trying to do is possibe, is given in the official FAQ document linked in the OP. Why would there be a guide for online gaming if the mechanism doesn't in fact provide this service?
Options
Bump
2018-08-26 14:54:04
Bump
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 759

Replies: 4

Related Articles