Help with wifi home setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-08-22 10:36:30
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have recently purchased a Deco m5 with three units for a 1300 square feet apartment. I have a fiber Internet connection delivering 300 mbps download/150 mbps upload. I run three speed tests in each scenario (Deco configured as router and as access point) using Speedtest.net with my iPhone in each of the following rooms, and got the following speeds.

When the Deco is configured to router mode:

Room Deco Download (1st test) Upload (1st test) Download (2nd test) Upload (2nd test) Download (3rd test) Upload (3rd test)
Living room Main Deco 381 mbps 248 mbps 389 mbps 244 mbps 379 mpbs 229 mbps
TV room (next to living room) 2nd Deco 172 mbps 96 mbps 133 mbps 108 mbps 118 mbps 161 mbps
Office (next to TV room) 3rd Deco 94 mbps 62 mbps 117 mbps 60 mbps 76 mbps 64 mbps
Bedroom (next to office) No Deco 76 mbps 37 mbps 76 mbps 55 mbps 39 mbps 22 mbps

When the Deco is configured in access point mode:

Room Deco Download (1st test) Upload (1st test) Download (2nd test) Upload (2nd test) Download (3rd test) Upload (3rd test)
Living room Main Deco 315 mbps 242 mbps 316 mbps 262 mbps 375 mpbs 261 mbps
TV room (next to living room) 2nd Deco 137 mbps 119 mbps 187 mbps 102 mbps 170 mbps 78 mbps
Office (next to TV room) 3rd Deco 48 mbps 85 mbps 87 mbps 83 mbps 87 mbps 88 mbps
Bedroom (next to office) No Deco 77 mbps 31 mbps 54 mbps 18 mbps 67 mbps 50 mbps

So, these are the results. It seems to me that the results of the speed test are similar in both router and access point modes. I read in some places that the Deco m5 in access point mode cannot use the mesh features, but the speeds are very similar to me. Am I missing something? I would have the following questions:

1. Are those acceptable speeds? I mean, of course they are acceptable, but is the loss of signal (and of speed) expected in both cases, considering the size of the apartment?

2. The modem/router installed by the Internet provider is the one that connects to the Internet, and I am not sure there is a way to change that. Does this make any difference in performance, as the Deco m5 is supposed to be the device that connects to the Internet (instead of the router/modem)?

3. Is the speed in router and access point modes expected to be the same? What should be the differences?

4. Should I buy additional Deco units to have better speeds? I mean, according to TP-Link, 3 units should cover a 4,500 square feet home, and mine is less than one third of this size (only 1300 square feet).

Thanks.
Options
1 Reply
Re:Help with wifi home setup
2018-08-30 03:51:54
@skaertus,

I recently emailed TP-Link asking if the M5 still uses the mesh technology when the Deco's are configured as Access Points. They replied and said yes they do. I can't confirm though because I have not purchased any yet.

As for your setup. If your ISP provided you with a Modem/Router combo vs. just a modem then all Deco's should be setup as access points. This needs to be done to avoid a double NAT. Double NAT could negatively affect your speeds. Set all 3 Deco's to Access Point mode. At the very least the main one should be directly wired to the router. The other two can be just wireless. I highly recommend wiring all 3 to the router though. That way each Deco can use the Ethernet Backhaul for faster speeds. If you can't do that or need the others to be wireless then you will run into speed slowdowns. The wireless Deco needs to communicate with the main Deco wirelessly. This causes the WiFi speed to be cut in half. Half is used for you WiFi network and the other half is used to communicate with the main Deco.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-1842.html

Also, a mesh network does not magically give you more range or better spreeds. It allows each mesh point to overlap and keep devices connected as they roam. A traditional WiFi Router used with non-mesh access points does not support roaming and a device in the overlap zone might swap between access points dropping the connection for a few seconds each time. Also each M5 has a range of 1500 Square Feet. In theory that would mean you only need one 1300 SQ FT home, but that would depend on the construction of the building and other factors like how close they are to other electronics. I would setup one Deco, test the connections in all rooms and add the additional ones as you see fit. Your speed tests seem right if your iPhone was connected to the 2.4Ghz band.

WiFi Best Practice:

WiFi Access Points/Routers should be placed as high as you can get them. WiFi signals fall better than they climb.
[*]Cell broadcast strength should be adjusted so there is little to no overlap between access points (Mesh networks solve this issue).
[*]WiFi broadcast channels should not overlap. The 2.4Ghz band has 11 channels to choose from. If you have 3 access points they should broadcast on channels 1, 6 and 11.
[*]WiFi Access Points/Routers should not be placed near appliances, microwaves, devices that broadcast wirelessly (Cordless Phones), or electronics that give off RF noise.
[*]Standing right next to an access point will have worse reception than standing 10 feet away.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 618

Replies: 1

Related Articles