Problem adding more Deco M5s in the house

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-09-29 20:02:33
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Our ISP gave us a Deco M5 with hardware v1. We liked it so we bought a pack of 3 M5s to cover the whole house.

I tried connecting the new M5 to the original one but it won't connect even if it was pulsing blue and literally right beside each other. I checked the back and found that the new M5s were Hardware v2. Are v1 and v2 compatible?

Frustrated, I tried to make the new M5 v2 the main node but even my phone can't connect to it via bluetooth. I have no idea what's wrong as I tried everything I can think of. I even checked the bluetooth of my mobile phone and it was v4.2 which was supposed to be compatible.
Options
3 Reply
Re:Problem adding more Deco M5s in the house
2018-10-05 04:59:48
I just went through something similar. The V1 and V2 are compatible, what you have is a firmware mismatch.

I bought 7 Deco's. 2 3packs and a single. The single was a V1 and both 3packs were v2s. I set the single up first and upgraded the firmware, that was where I made my mistake. It seems you cannot add a deco into your network if the firmware is older than what you are running in your network.

It is likely your V2 has an older version of the firmware on it than the V1 you have been using.

1) Make sure the V1 is running the most current firmware.
2) Reset the V1 to factory then unplug it and leave it off
3) Redo your network with the V2
4) Add the V1 into the network, it will probably fail but tell that you need to update the firmware on your V2 in order to add the V1.
5) Update firmware on the V2
6) Add the V1 into the network and you should be good to go.

You could also just unplug the V1 temporarily and create a new temporary network with the V2. Upgrade the firmware, then reset the V2. Turn the V1 back on and then add the V2 to the old network.

TPLink really needs to improve that process since 9 times out of 10 the 'new' Deco you just bought is going to have older firmware on it out of the box. What should happen is giving you the option to upgrade the firmware on the Deco you are adding. As it is now it just fails without explanation.
Options
2018-10-05 16:15:44
Thanks for that useful info!However, I still have a problem connecting my phone to the V2. For some reason, it won't connect to my phone via bluetooth even if it was beside each other.I tried calling TP-Link Tech Support but no one eas answering.
Options
2018-10-06 00:57:43
Don't worry about version, all work, the add monde into app has been changed to network mode, have small "link" to add via bluetooth, you need use this mode.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 776

Replies: 3

Related Articles