Archer c5400 v2 - half of gigabit speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-10-25 14:31:27
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

What should I do to get the full speed? Connected to the modem, the speed is 900Mbps, but via router the speed is 400-500Mbps.
Is this router a gigabit one? Is there an issue with the latest firmware?
Options
18 Reply
Re:Archer c5400 v2 - half of gigabit speed
2018-10-25 22:18:48

msabau wrote

Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

What should I do to get the full speed? Connected to the modem, the speed is 900Mbps, but via router the speed is 400-500Mbps.
Is this router a gigabit one? Is there an issue with the latest firmware?

Yes, the router is gigabit ready.
Make sure QoS is not set, that means application priority is Standard & you have no devices selected for device priority, to check go to the advance tab at the top then on your right, click on QoS tab, there you will see the Application Priority & Device Priority. Good luck!
Options
2018-10-26 00:12:13

RajaDaja wrote

Yes, the router is gigabit ready.Make sure QoS is not set, that means application priority is Standard & you have no devices deleted for device priority, to check go to the advance tab at the top then on your right, click on QoS tab, there you will see the Application Priority & Device Priority. Good luck!
I cannot delete the devices in the priority list. I only can check or uncheck them. How can I delete devices in list? Also, Nat boost setting should be checked or not?
Options
2018-10-26 22:02:39

msabau wrote

I cannot delete the devices in the priority list. I only can check or uncheck them. How can I delete devices in list? Also, Nat boost setting should be checked or not?

I meant to say selected not deleted . So....no devices checked and Nat boost should be checked.
Options
2018-10-27 00:46:09
Unfortunately it doesn't work! I think this router is not a gigabit one. Or the latest firmware is a buggy one! Sorry, but I need to buy a real router.
Options
2018-10-27 02:14:21

msabau wrote

Unfortunately it doesn't work! I think this router is not a gigabit one. Or the latest firmware is a buggy one! Sorry, but I need to buy a real router.

What about the cable? When you plug it into the modem you get the gig speed right? So the cable from router to computer & modem to router should be Cat 6 or higher. of course when you plug straight into modem you get correct speed but what about the other cable? router > computer? I had gig internet and I achieve 940 Mbps down with my C5400 v2.
Options
2018-10-27 10:38:05
I have a similar problem with the C5400 (label doesn't say 1 or 2 so assume 1). Just switched to cox gigablast service but only getting about 350 down. Cox sharp guy was here and tested everything. He shows 960 down to modem and going into the router. However, as RajaDaja suggested I am also getting slow 300s if bypass router and go direct.to modem. He points out for some reason the PC isn't pulling more speed out of the modem or router. He says he has heard this before and its the fault of the ethernet port on the PC even if it is supposed to be a gigabyte

I have a fairly new Asus Prime Z370-A motherboard with an Intel gigabyte ethernet port. So should work but seems to be the only likely problem point. He has heard folks getting a plug in gig ethernet port to replace the one on the motherboard. I am exploring that further.
Options
Re:Re:Archer c5400 v2 - half of gigabit speed
2019-01-30 01:51:51 - last edited 2019-01-30 01:52:33

We have same problem on this router. They sold us this router with many deceiptful hidden agenda to us costumers. They should recall all C5400 and penalties will be given to them intertionally.

Options
2019-02-17 12:11:52

I too have this exact issue, and there are no combinations of settings or different connected clients or anything that changes this router's behavior.

Simply put; I have a 500/50 mbps plan with my ISP and every speedtest I run, I always get about 220 dl, 50 up. It would look as though the AC5400 was capping the download speed at exactly half.

For some random reason I some times get a good read (upwards of 400 mbps) on one of my laptops. Both my laptops have gigabit WLAN cards and their connection to the router is impeccable.

It looks to me like a classic firmware issue. A bug and nothing more.

It is true that changing some settings (as suggested in this thread) temporarily "fixes" the issue, but soon after the router returns to self capping at half the max speed.

It should be noted that when it works as it should, it impresssively achieves almost full speed even wirelessly (which is a lot to say for a router).

I feel like TP-Link should take a look into this. After reading this thread I know I'm not crazy.

It's the router.

Options
2019-02-23 11:27:29

Alright. It looks like I found the solution to this head scratcher, and I did so trying to solve a completely differnt issue (error with the LED controller config).

Go into Advanced Settings>System Tools (side bar to the left)>Time Settings

Check the option in "Set Time" to "Get automatically from the internet". Choose the correct time zone for where you're located, and this is the kicker: Google local NTP servers for your location, choose 2 of them and enter them in the NTP Server fields. Click "Obtain".

Let it fetch the data and once it says "Ok", click "save".

Now Google the begin and end time of Daylights Savings for wherever you are and modify the values accordingly where you see them on the same section of the router's settings. Click "save" and you're done!

This fixed the speed issue for me. On a 500/50 mbps plan I was getting roughly 250/50. Now I get almost 500 every time I test.

Cheers guys!

Options
Re:Re:Archer c5400 v2 - half of gigabit speed
2019-04-03 09:32:44

Not work for me. The same half speed.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4495

Replies: 18

Related Articles