P7 mesh: Question on MAC adress handling

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-10-30 19:42:10
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi,
considering buying a P7 triple-set in order to improve my network at home.
At present I'm using a Netgear router and some of their mesh devices, but unfortunately the way Netgear has chosen to handle devices connected to mesh devices include what they call "MAC address translation" (described further here).

The way this works is, that devices connected to a mesh extender are assigned a "translated" MAC address in which the initial six letters are replaced by something else.
For some reason, this interferes with the functinality of severall of my connected devices, e.g., my doorbell from ring.com and my domestic appliances from Miele, that looses cloud connection if connected via a mesh device.

Now the question, as I have not been able to find the answer by searching the FAQ and the forum:

How does the tp-link mesh handle MAC addresses? Are they also "translated" - or will they stay the same throughout the system?
Of course, if anyone can confirm having working devices like the above (connected via the mesh in the P7 network) that would be brilliant (as I just wasted a lot of money on extending my network, while the result is in fact breaking stuff that worked and I don't want to do that again by buying just another brand that has the same - or other - problems).

Thanks for any advice,
Chr.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 546

Replies: 0

Related Articles