Best option to extend Wi-Fi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-11-02 18:55:03
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have a good dual band Wi-Fi router, unfortunately it is at one end of the house. The furthest away part of the house (About 50%) has poor or limited signal. I want to get the best possible dual band capability to this part of the house and have the two joined up in the best possible way as I have a network storage devise in the week signal area that can be used to stream content. I thought about a high spec power line Wi-Fi extender but although on the same consumer unit they would be on separate ring mains and only connected via the fuse box so this may limit the throughput. I do have an Ethernet cable from my router to the area I need to boost the Wi-Fi so think a high spec wireless acces point would be the best option with a wired connection. My only concern is this if not setup properly will creat two separate Wi-Fi networks and I think they could be setup to act as one. I am looking for suggestions on the best picece of kit that will give me seamless Wi-Fi end to end, any suggestions?
Options
1 Reply
Re:Best option to extend Wi-Fi
2019-02-11 15:09:09

Alan Leech wrote

Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have a good dual band Wi-Fi router, unfortunately it is at one end of the house. The furthest away part of the house (About 50%) has poor or limited signal. I want to get the best possible dual band capability to this part of the house and have the two joined up in the best possible way as I have a network storage devise in the week signal area that can be used to stream content. I thought about a high spec power line Wi-Fi extender but although on the same consumer unit they would be on separate ring mains and only connected via the fuse box so this may limit the throughput. I do have an Ethernet cable from my router to the area I need to boost the Wi-Fi so think a high spec wireless acces point would be the best option with a wired connection. My only concern is this if not setup properly will creat two separate Wi-Fi networks and I think they could be setup to act as one. I am looking for suggestions on the best picece of kit that will give me seamless Wi-Fi end to end, any suggestions?

Unless both WiFi access points (the new one and the one in your router) are set up to handle a smooth switch-over, you will be better of with two separate WiFi networks, using the same name but add a sequence number and using the same password.

If you want one network with smooth switch-over, you will have to make sure all access points are at least the same brand and add a controller. This probably means turning the WiFi function of your router off and adding an access point at that end as well.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1004

Replies: 1