TP-Link wireless adapter on Windows Server 2008

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2012-11-19 00:12:35
Region : Argentina

Model : TL-WDN4800

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Region : Belgium

Model : TL-WN881ND

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP : Belgacom

Hi,
I just bought a TP-Link TL-WN881ND wireless adapter.
It installs nicely on a windows server 2008, but when I want to select the adapter (in the TP-Link software) I get the message "Failed to switch wireless network adapter".
When I look in the network center of Windows, I get 2 announcements:

1. The network adapter "TP-LINK 300Mbps Wireless N adapter is experiencing driver or hardware related issues.". => Weird thing is that the device manager isn't confirming any defects whatsoever. Drivers are up-2-date and working correctly.
2. Make sure your internet protocol bindings are correct.. => well, both protocols (TCP/IP v4 and 6) are coupled and set up correctly.

What's wrong? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Christophe
Options
8 Reply
Re:TP-Link wireless adapter on Windows Server 2008
2012-11-19 17:01:22
Uninstall anti-virus software and the driver and the utility and then manually reinstall the drvier only. Use the windows configuration tool.........
Options
2012-11-19 19:47:37
Hi,
I uninstalled both software and driver (anti-virus wasn't installed yet, because it's a clean PC I'm installing).
After that I reinstalled the driver only, restarted the machine, but the same errors remain:

1. The network adapter "TP-LINK 300Mbps Wireless N adapter is experiencing driver or hardware related issues.".
2. Make sure your internet protocol bindings are correct.
Options
2012-11-19 21:08:43
Hello, Christophe! Maybe TL-WN881ND can not be successfully in Windows sever 2008 due to the compatible problem. As far as I know, the driver provided by TP-LINK can only be used on Windows XP. windows 7 and Windows Vista but not for Windows Server no matter it is Windows sever 2003 or Windows sever 2008.
Maybe you can try the driver from the chipset manufacturer--Atheros. The chipset for TL-WN881ND V1 is Atheros AR9287. Form this website http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-drivers.php
, you can have a check whether there is a driver for Windows 2008.
If there is not, maybe it can not be used on your Windows server 2008 unless the server has already contained the driver by default.
Options
2012-11-19 22:37:58
Hi,

I've tried your tips, and installed the original chipset driver, but he doesn't even recognize the driver on an x64 system - even with the x64 inf.
So I guess I missbought myself this adapter :(
After 4 hours of swearing :) I give up.
Strange that it is not compatible because all x64-drivers of Windows 7 do work for all my other devices. too bad ...
Options
Solved
2012-11-19 22:51:56
Well what do you know ... I search in Google for another adapter "best wireless adapter windows server 64bit" and by this I get the answer to my problem :)

=> Install Wireless LAN features under Server Manager - Features - Add Features -

This feature wasn't yet enabled! How dumb. :)

Thanks for the assistance guys,

Christophe
Options
2012-11-22 21:59:04
Wow :D Good news. Would you mind to share your successful experience with me because my friend got no luck to make it work? On the Windows 2008 server, only enable the Wireless LAN feature and then install the driver from the manufacturer and it worked? Am i right? I will give a try. If I have any problems, i will post here. ;)
Options
2012-11-22 22:12:47
hi there,
Yes indeed, I installed the manufacturer's driver from Atheros.cz
I think it might also work with the "driver only" (see Herman's solution), but I never retried that since it works now.
My fix was adding the WIFI - feature.
Good luck!
Options
2015-11-22 07:59:43
Ok, I don't usually post to forums but this was a community project and without Christophe I would never have got my server back up and running so cheers to Christophe .

I have a Windows Server 2008 R2 and a TP-Link 450mbps Dual Wireless N Adapter.
This adapter is not supported by TP-Link
So here is the fix.
1. Install the hardware per instructions,
2. In the OS goto => "run" Server Manager> add features> check the box next to "Wireless LAN features" > click install
3. Goto .control panel> device manage> you should see a "network controller" with a yellow yield sign> right click and goto properties and update driver> browse to the "Drivers only" section of your cd and find the Windows 7 (64bit) update the driver and you should be in business.
4. Email me if you need the driver sourcecode1@yahoo.com
Good luck and Thank You all! Especially Christophe!
Options