SSID of 743 in client mode visible and appears unsecured?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2012-11-21 11:30:43
Region : Hongkong

Model : TL-WR743ND

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version : 2.1

ISP :

I am operating a TL-WR743ND in client mode connected to my main router (via wifi) to feed the TVs and AV equipment in the living room (via ethernet cables).

Connection and operation appear to be fine, but I notice that the 743 can actually be seen as one of the "available networks" when I scan for wireless networks with my other wifi enabled equipement. Unlike my main router, whose icon would appear with a little lock on it (indicating that it requires password), the one for the 743 is just a normal fan shaped logo. If I try to access the 743 this way, it would say that it is obtaining an IP address but it would not succeed in doing so (fortunately).

I just need to use the 743 to connect my non-wifi machines and if possible, I would like to have it hidden and not broadcasted. Is there a way to do so? If it is just the way it is, is there any security issue (since it looks like an open network, although on some machines, it has the words protected network underneath) ?

Thanks.
Options
38 Reply
Re:SSID of 743 in client mode visible and appears unsecured?
2012-11-21 12:26:11
Please check whether you have the IP collision between your main router and this tp-link router. Disable “SSID broadcast” to hide it.
Options
2012-11-21 13:54:30

Kelly wrote

Please check whether you have the IP collision between your main router and this tp-link router. Disable “SSID broadcast” to hide it.

Thanks.

The two routers are set under different IPs, i.e. 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.xxx. I don't see any SSID broadcast option for the TP Link when it is in client mode. Would you know where I should find it?

Thanks again.
Options
2012-11-22 17:00:36
How did set the router? AP client router or AP router with WDS?
there should be SSID broadcasting on Wireless -> Wireless Settings. Or you can go to wireless security to put a password on it.
Options
2012-11-23 10:05:19

sandy wrote

How did set the router? AP client router or AP router with WDS?
there should be SSID broadcasting on Wireless -> Wireless Settings. Or you can go to wireless security to put a password on it.

I set my router in client mode (see screen cap which I captured wrong. I am indeed in the very last mode on the list). According to the descriptions, client mode seems to be "the one" I should use. It seems that the Wireless client mode is for WISP connection and the others don't fit the bill?
In client mode, there is no setting for SSID broadcasting.
Should I go for another mode instead?

Thanks.
Options
2012-11-23 18:05:34
You can have a try to install it in WISP mode... or Wireless client mode again. Not clear about the hardware version of the router and the firmware version......
Options
2012-11-26 16:50:21
as far as I know, when in wireless client mode, the WR743ND is not sending the wireless signal, so there is no SSID settings on the router. so the wireless cllient is the working mode you need...
Options
2012-11-27 12:28:55

sandy wrote

as far as I know, when in wireless client mode, the WR743ND is not sending the wireless signal, so there is no SSID settings on the router. so the wireless cllient is the working mode you need...

That's my thought, too, but the SSID does appear when I scan for networks. I found out when I thought my network is in a crowded channel (as there is "another" TP-link router on that channel and it was strong). I changed the channel of my network only to found that "that" TP-Link router moved with it. Then I checked the detailed ID and it was actually my own client router...

The good thing is that I cannot actually connect wirelessly through the TP Link (although it is seen), but I feel uncomfortable with it "out there".
Options
2012-11-28 10:41:02
:D
Did you change the change the channel on the main router?
normally, it will not send wireless radio. If you are worried, you can change it to router mode, and check the SSID, and change it back to client mode. and you will see the tp-link network is your own wireless network or not.
Have you check other laptop? Can it see the same SSID?
Options
2012-11-28 11:03:37

sandy wrote

:D
Did you change the change the channel on the main router?
normally, it will not send wireless radio. If you are worried, you can change it to router mode, and check the SSID, and change it back to client mode. and you will see the tp-link network is your own wireless network or not.
Have you check other laptop? Can it see the same SSID?

The reason why I found that it is indeed the client mode TP-Link router is that the BSSID (i.e. the one that goes like xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx) checks out and it would change to the same channel when my main router changed channel. All my wireless enabled machines "sees" the TP Link client router when they scan for wireless networks. If I try to connect to it (via wifi of course), it would say "obtaining IP address" for a while but never suceeds (which is good). I looked for firmware upgrades and it seems that I have the latest one for this V1 version. I attempted to try out Lambo's suggestion and set up WISP client mode, but it cannot find my main network (perhaps because I am still connected to it and the router considers itself to be "it" and I need to reset things for it to see it again as a separate router), so I did not continue trying that out. Maybe some other time.

Thanks.
Options
2012-12-02 07:13:08
I just have the same problem... When you configure the client mode, and enable it, another wifi network appears, as it is configured as bridge mode... At the client mode, no one wifi network could be up by this router, as it is a CLIENT device... This other ssid that comes up has the default ssid name from Tplink and has the same channel as the network you are joined (like bridge mode)... My device is a TL-WR743ND v1.2 with the latest firmware from tplink... Please TpLink folks, take a look at this bug...
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3666

Replies: 38

Related Articles