SSID of 743 in client mode visible and appears unsecured?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

SSID of 743 in client mode visible and appears unsecured?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
38 Reply
Re:SSID of 743 in client mode visible and appears unsecured?
2012-12-07 09:33:43

sandy wrote

No, it doesn't mean that.
First, when the wireless network is connected for the first time, the computer will automatically save the SSID and security setting as a profile. So no matter the wireless network is existing or not, the profile still remains on your computer, until you remove it.
Second, after you remove the profile, if the wireless network is existing, you will still see it in the wireless networks list on your computer, but not connected. If the wireless network is not existing, the SSID just disappear from the computer.
Third, profile is saved on your computer, while the wireless network is not existing. you can see the SSID on your computer, but the icon should be grey, and you can not connect to it.

Thanks. Will give it a shot and see what it would turn out to be.
Options
Yes I also get the wireless network signal when in client mode
2013-02-01 22:12:03
I am in the UK.
I too have a TL-WR743ND acting as a "wireless client" to my wireless-n ADSL router which connects to the internet. I too am using the client to connect a Youview box and TV, to save long runs of ethernet cable.
I have other devices connected via wireless to the ADSL router, and they can also see the TPLink device which is supposed to be a wireless client and so should not be transmitting a SSID. How do I know its the TPlink? - because the default name seems to have the last 6 hex numbers of the MAC address - you just couldn't make it up.
Also, I know it's current because the signal strength is listed as "Excellent", it too shows as unsecured (even though the client link is actually WPA2-PSK password protected - so the client has connected in that fashion). I too cannot actually seem to connect - it cannot get an IP address, however in my view this SSID should not be transmitting in this mode of the 743ND - I dont want it advertising itself and I have no way of knowing if there are any "backdoors".

I also had a real problem getting it to all work properly. If you enable DHCP only some addresses - eg IP are given to the client, the device doesn't seem to pass on DNS addresses from the main ADSL router etc which means that the client attached to the 743 lan port cannot get to the internet with host names - only IP addresses.

This problem is solved completely by disabling the DHCP server on the 743, then the 743 LAN client gets an IP and DNS addresses all from the ADSL router perfectly (I have no idea if a second IP would be issued for any other client added to the LAN ports though!).

Other gripes - the logging is completely useless in client mode - it shows virtually nothing - and certainly nothing that helped in diagnosing the problems I have just mentioned. Now other devices I have use extensive logging, which enable a good chance of discovering what is really going on, this logging should be able to be improved a lot, very easily, I would have thought.

Oh and I am using the latest firmware as of this date.

Otherwise for it's price it's a knockout - but could be made MUCH better with a slight improvement in the manual and the logging!
Options
2013-02-06 12:13:39

johnrg wrote

I am in the UK.
I too have a TL-WR743ND acting as a "wireless client" to my wireless-n ADSL router which connects to the internet. I too am using the client to connect a Youview box and TV, to save long runs of ethernet cable.
I have other devices connected via wireless to the ADSL router, and they can also see the TPLink device which is supposed to be a wireless client and so should not be transmitting a SSID. How do I know its the TPlink? - because the default name seems to have the last 6 hex numbers of the MAC address - you just couldn't make it up.
Also, I know it's current because the signal strength is listed as "Excellent", it too shows as unsecured (even though the client link is actually WPA2-PSK password protected - so the client has connected in that fashion). I too cannot actually seem to connect - it cannot get an IP address, however in my view this SSID should not be transmitting in this mode of the 743ND - I dont want it advertising itself and I have no way of knowing if there are any "backdoors".

I also had a real problem getting it to all work properly. If you enable DHCP only some addresses - eg IP are given to the client, the device doesn't seem to pass on DNS addresses from the main ADSL router etc which means that the client attached to the 743 lan port cannot get to the internet with host names - only IP addresses.

This problem is solved completely by disabling the DHCP server on the 743, then the 743 LAN client gets an IP and DNS addresses all from the ADSL router perfectly (I have no idea if a second IP would be issued for any other client added to the LAN ports though!).

Other gripes - the logging is completely useless in client mode - it shows virtually nothing - and certainly nothing that helped in diagnosing the problems I have just mentioned. Now other devices I have use extensive logging, which enable a good chance of discovering what is really going on, this logging should be able to be improved a lot, very easily, I would have thought.

Oh and I am using the latest firmware as of this date.

Otherwise for it's price it's a knockout - but could be made MUCH better with a slight improvement in the manual and the logging!

Good (or not so good) to see that someone is seeing the exact same thing as I do regarding the unnecessary SSID broadcast. I guess it is firmware issue that no one will care to solve and a possible solution may be to flash aftermarket firmware such as DD-WRT which enables you to turn off the broadcast.
As for the DHCP issue, I have it off from Day One and it is successfully passing on IPs from the router to the 4 devices attached to the 743. It is really a terrific value, considering that most items marketed as "wireless ethernet adapters" only has one port or cost a whole lot more. This glitch regarding SSID broadcast, however, is rather irritating as a not-too-tech-saavy person like me really would not know if there is a real security issue involved.
Options
2013-03-01 17:34:50

eduardoo wrote

Good (or not so good) to see that someone is seeing the exact same thing as I do regarding the unnecessary SSID broadcast. I guess it is firmware issue that no one will care to solve and a possible solution may be to flash aftermarket firmware such as DD-WRT which enables you to turn off the broadcast.
As for the DHCP issue, I have it off from Day One and it is successfully passing on IPs from the router to the 4 devices attached to the 743. It is really a terrific value, considering that most items marketed as "wireless ethernet adapters" only has one port or cost a whole lot more. This glitch regarding SSID broadcast, however, is rather irritating as a not-too-tech-saavy person like me really would not know if there is a real security issue involved.

JUST FOUND A FIX TO THIS ISSUE!

I just changed my main router and had to redo the setup of the 743 as client. What I did is that before I configure the the 743 into client mode, I first disable SSID broadcast while it is in its native router mode (as no such option is available when the thing is in client mode). Then, I reboot the 743 and then do the client mode set-up. Voila! No more SSID broadcast!
Options
Possible IP collision
2013-03-02 12:33:09

eduardoo wrote

Thanks.

The two routers are set under different IPs, i.e. 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.xxx. I don't see any SSID broadcast option for the TP Link when it is in client mode. Would you know where I should find it?

Thanks again.

what i feel is u r havin IP collision ,

leave router 1 IP addressing scheme to 192.168.1.1 and change router 2 IP scheme to 10.0.0.1

try this hopefully ur prob will be solved
Options
Belated continuation of the thread
2014-11-29 02:06:38
Maybe I came too late, sorry.

But I just had the same problem. For various requirements, I have experimented with all he operation modes supported and none fits the requirements I have except this "wireless client" moide. And yes, teh default TP-LINK SSID does appear to any wireless device in its range. And it is unsecured!!!!

There is absolutely no parameter in this mode's menus to hide or disable this. Nothing.

Like the original poster, at first I was less worried as one could not actually complete the connection to this SSID.
However, this is inconsistent!!! That is, I tried again at a later time and I was able to conenct to it as any other unsecured network!!!
Which means this is a security hole in my entire home network. Once a hacker gets to it, he can access everything else.

Obviously I dropped this mode and had to change my netwrok architecture alll together.

If anyone is still listening (TP-link?), is there a solution/workaround for this problem?

Thanks

Offer
Options
2014-12-01 13:53:24
Offer, go to Wireles---Wirless Settings page, you can seen AP settings, right? Is the Local SSID the one your detected? If so, to secure it, you can go to wireless security. If you want to hide it, you can uncheck Enable SSID broadcast.

Options
2014-12-01 14:39:00
Thanks Mavis, but "no". In this mode ("wireles client") the wireless settings do not have any config items for the "local"ssid, just for the one, the 743 is connectng to (i.e.the root AP). So I don't see that default TP-Link SSID and naturally I can't hide or secure it.
Options
2014-12-02 10:59:54
What's the hardware version and firmware version of your WR743?
On wireless settings in client router mode, there is AP settings absolutely. http://www.tp-link.com/resources/simulator/TL-WR743ND/Index.htm
Wireless client mode you mentioned refers to client router mode?
Options
2014-12-02 14:41:18
As I've clearly indicated, the problem I'm having is in "Wireless Client" mode and not in "Client Router Mode". The latter works fine with no issues.
In "Wireless Cleint" mode there are no wireless settings for the local SSID (checked and double-checked), just for the root SSID/AP the 743 is connecting to.

In fact, I tried several different sequences of configuring the 743: For example, not starting with the Quick Setup, but rather setting up the wireless parameters first the way I want and only then selecting the Wireless Client operation mode, and othere sequences. Nothing solved the problem.

My HW version is 1.1. and the FW version is Version 3.12.20 130109 Rel.37226n. This is the latest FW for this model.

By following the link you have provided, I realized that you are referring to an old FW of the 743 V1.1 where only two operation modes aresupported. This is a completely different beast and of course, the wireless client router in that version works as expected. The original FW of the V1.1. didn't support the 5 operation modes (only 2). I was told by TP-LINK support to download that new FW version to get the
5 operation modes which indeed it does, except for this problem, of course.

So to sumamrize "Wireless client" and "Wireless Client Router" are completely different operation modes. The former has the problem, while the latter works as specified.

TP-Link guys? Can you jump in please?

Cheers,

Offer
Options