Philips Hue bridge not visible in Deco app client list

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-10 22:19:03 - last edited 2022-12-22 19:36:48
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.6.1 Build 20220818 Rel. 36456

Hello,

Yesterday I experienced an extended internet outage. I opened the Hue app in my iPhone in order to control the lights in my home, but the app was unable to connect to the Hue bridge, and therefore I could not control any of the Hue lights in my home. I then opened the Deco app and looked for the bridge; it did not appear on the client list. The bridge is hardwired to the main Deco unit, and using a network discovery tool (Fing), the Hue bridge appears on that app's list with its IP address. Additionally, if I try to add the bridge to the Deco app using the smart home option, the app sees the bridge and it's able to add it and all the smart accessories associated with the bridge. After adding the bridge in this manner, it's still invisible in the wi-fi client list.

I recall that in previous firmware versions, the Hue bridge was indeed visible in the Deco app client list, even without having an active internet connection. Now, I cannot control my lights at all if the internet goes out.

My Deco is in router mode. I already checked the IPTV setting and it is disabled. The bridge shows all its three blue lights as "on."

Can anyone help with this? It appears to be a firmware issue. Thanks in advance.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Philips Hue bridge not visible in Deco app client list-Solution
2022-12-22 19:36:35 - last edited 2022-12-22 19:36:48

@David-TP 

Thank you for escalating my query to your engineering team. I wanted to come back to the post and update the status of my issue, which I was able to resolve thanks to your team. Maybe this will help another Deco user who has the same issue.

In my LAN configuration, I have the main Deco unit connected to my ISP's cable modem, and my Philips Hue bridge connected to the main Deco. The engineering team advised me that, in this configuration, if I lose internet service, the main Deco will switch its Ethernet port to WAN/LAN auto-sensing, which will prevent the deco from assigning an IP address to the Hue bridge. This will make the Hue bridge inaccessible in case of an internet outage. Therefore, the team advised me to move my Hue bridge and connect it to one of the Deco satellites, which will have its Ethernet ports as LAN-sensing only, and this way the bridge will get assigned an IP address from the main Deco.

The team also advised that the Hue bridge will not be visible in the Deco app client list, and that this is by design.

After this communication with the engineering team, I ran a few tests after connecting my Hue bridge to one of my satellite Decos, and success! I was able to control my Hue lights successfully after simulating an internet outage.

I am closing this thread marking this post as the recommended solution. Thank you and your team again for the great support, I really appreciate it.

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Philips Hue bridge not visible in Deco app client list
2022-12-13 11:13:11

@Ramm4691 

Hi, welcome to the community.

Was the Philips Hue bridge the only device that did not show up on the Deco APP?

Can I have a picture of the current network layout, such as:

If possible, could you please refer to this link to help me submit the APP log:

How to submit Deco APP log

And please also install the beta firmware in the private message to see whether it helped or not.

Best regards.

Options
2022-12-13 14:25:16 - last edited 2022-12-13 14:32:04

@David-TP 

Thank you for your reply.

"Was the Philips Hue bridge the only device that did not show up on the Deco APP?"

Correct. The Hue bridge is the only device I have on my LAN that does not appear at all on the Deco app's client list. The bridge has DHCP = "on" and an automatically assigned IP address at the moment, but once before the bridge had a fixed IP address and it didn't appear on the list either.

Here is a pic of my LAN diagram.

I also sent the APP logs via email a few minutes ago.

Later today, I will install the beta firmware you sent and will report back.

Thanks again for your prompt response!

Options
2022-12-13 16:10:53 - last edited 2022-12-13 16:14:13

@David-TP 

"And please also install the beta firmware in the private message to see whether it helped or not."

Beta firmware installed successfully, but it did not make a difference. I still can't see the Hue bridge in the app's client list. Also, if I disconnect my internet modem from the main Deco unit (Loft), the Hue app cannot find the bridge and operate my smart lights, even though the bridge shows the "local network" LED as "on" (in fact, all three lights in the bridge are "on," indicating that the bridge should be accessible via the internet and also the LAN).

Options
2022-12-14 03:42:58

@Ramm4691 

Thanks for the APP log.

Could you please help me do a simple test:

• Temporarily connect the Hue Bridge via Ethernet cable to the satellite TV room or Cubicle room.
  • Check on the Deco APP whether it starts showing on the Deco APP this time.
  • Then disconnect the internet modem from the main Deco unit, and check whether you could control Hue lights via Hue Bridge in the local LAN network only again.

Wait for your reply.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2022-12-14 13:37:43 - last edited 2022-12-14 13:43:01

@David-TP 

Thank you, good suggestion! 

I just connected the Hue bridge to the Cubicle Deco satellite and checked the app. Unfortunately, there is no change: the bridge does not appear on the app's client list and my smart lights cannot be controlled if the internet cable is disconnected from the main Deco unit. The bridge shows all LEDs as "on" and I can see the bridge and its IP / MAC address using the Fing network discovery app. I'm also still on the beta firmware you sent yesterday.

EDIT: I neglected to provide information about the Hue bridge, in case it is useful:

Bridge model = BSB002

Firmware = 1.53.1953188020 [latest version]

I appreciate your help.

Options
Re:Philips Hue bridge not visible in Deco app client list-Solution
2022-12-22 19:36:35 - last edited 2022-12-22 19:36:48

@David-TP 

Thank you for escalating my query to your engineering team. I wanted to come back to the post and update the status of my issue, which I was able to resolve thanks to your team. Maybe this will help another Deco user who has the same issue.

In my LAN configuration, I have the main Deco unit connected to my ISP's cable modem, and my Philips Hue bridge connected to the main Deco. The engineering team advised me that, in this configuration, if I lose internet service, the main Deco will switch its Ethernet port to WAN/LAN auto-sensing, which will prevent the deco from assigning an IP address to the Hue bridge. This will make the Hue bridge inaccessible in case of an internet outage. Therefore, the team advised me to move my Hue bridge and connect it to one of the Deco satellites, which will have its Ethernet ports as LAN-sensing only, and this way the bridge will get assigned an IP address from the main Deco.

The team also advised that the Hue bridge will not be visible in the Deco app client list, and that this is by design.

After this communication with the engineering team, I ran a few tests after connecting my Hue bridge to one of my satellite Decos, and success! I was able to control my Hue lights successfully after simulating an internet outage.

I am closing this thread marking this post as the recommended solution. Thank you and your team again for the great support, I really appreciate it.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 899

Replies: 6

Related Articles