Problems with Media Server (PS3 console does not see files)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2012-11-27 16:02:12
Region : Poland

Model : TL-WR842ND

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 3.12.22 Build 120424 Rel.39632n

ISP :

Hi,

I recently bought an new router TP-LINK TL-WR842ND. After configuring it I connected it via an cable connection to my PS3. The Internet connection works correct and I'm able to use all network feature on my console.

Then I connected a USB Hard Drive to it USB port and I enabled Media Server feature on the router. I have done steps described here http://www.tp-link.com/app/usb/How%20to%20Use%20the%20Media%20Server.pdf, but with no results.
My PS3 sees the Media Server, but when I open it it shows no files.

Could anyone help me with this, please ?

Regards, Germanos.
Options
7 Reply
Re:Problems with Media Server (PS3 console does not see files)
2012-11-27 21:11:33
How about the windows media player on your computer? can you see the files?
Options
2012-11-27 21:20:32

sandy wrote

How about the windows media player on your computer? can you see the files?

That's also funny, because Windows Media Player on my laptop and on my PC is not showing the media server :/
Should the media server appear in WMP as soon as I start the feature in router?
Options
2012-11-28 10:48:05
You need to open the media player first, and search the file on media player. what is windows version? windows XP or 7?
You can go to this website to check if the PS3 supports the format http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=340
Options
2012-11-28 16:00:22

sandy wrote

You need to open the media player first, and search the file on media player. what is windows version? windows XP or 7?

Ok I'm opening my WMP on Windows 7 and in the tree view (left side) I don't see the TP-LINK Media Server.

You can go to this website to check if the PS3 supports the format http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=340

Well I have added the following folders to routers Media Server: Music and Photo. There are various folders inside them, but it's shouldn't be a problem.
The only difference is that my folders are in FAT32 not NTFS.

Also, the question is: could there by any permission based problems ? I figured out something could be wrong with them, because when I try to delete something on the USB Hard Drive ( while connecting to it via \\routers-ip-address ), I get the message about not having permission from SOHO ROUTER\root to do this.
Options
2013-01-08 16:49:50
Anyone any tips for me about this issue ?

I would like to add that recently I got a message shown on my PS3 with this: "DLNA Protocol Error (501) ".
I'm quite sure that there are some problems with the permissions for the shared media via the router.
Options
2013-03-19 21:26:49
@Germanos

I have the exact same issue. My Windows Media Player (on Win7 Pro) is not able to see the TP Link router's media server.

Did you ever find a solution to this problem?

Thanks.
Options
2013-03-19 21:41:04
There is no solution to this.

I contacted the TP-Link Support via email and I got an brilliant feedback from them:

"TP-LINK routers are not yet fully DLNA certified, so there may be problems in collaboration router as a media server with some devices (including game consoles)."

Good to know that they simply lie about the PS3 console compatibility :confused:
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1292

Replies: 7

Related Articles