Second router and network as client on first router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-10-21 20:11:42 - last edited 2023-04-01 06:00:13

I have two physical networks; one for data and one for my surveillance cameras,  Currently, the cameras are not available on the Internet.

In my home server, I have two NICs, one connects to each network and I can see both networks just fine.  On my Synology Disk Station, I have two NICs and it is connected to both networks as well.  The Synology serves as DHCP server for the video network.  Everything else connects to just the appropriate network - PCs, laptops, tablets, phones, etc. on the data network while multiple video recorders, video monitor workstation, and cameras, connect to the video network.

The data network connects through a TP-Link TL841N to my fiber-to-the-home network.  The TL841N serves as DHCP Server for the data network.

Now that I have unlimited Internet plans on my phones, I want to be able to view my cameras on the Internet.  I currently monitor and record to the Internet through the Synology but I don't get all the alerts and functionality the Hikvision apps would give me if I could get to the cameras directly from the Hikvision apps.

My plan is to simply connect a second TL841N WAN port to a LAN port on the data network TL841N and set the LAN side of the second 841 to the video network address block and add a bunch of port forwarding.

Seems simple enough but as soon as I connect the second router, I can no longer access the video network from either multi-homed device: the Synology Diskstation or my home server. 

So I have basically 3 things I'd like to find out:

1. Is this the right basic approach?
  2. How can I solve the problem of the multi-homed devices no longer being able to communicate with the video network?
  3. Or, as a last resort since it defeats the whole purpose of splitting the video off the data network, how can I create a manual route that would let me see the video network from the multi-homed devices?  I tried to do it but either did it wrong or it just isn't going to work.

Thanks,

Dale

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Second router and network as client on first router-Solution
2018-10-29 18:24:35 - last edited 2023-04-01 06:00:13

Hi Dale

1. Yes !

2. Multihomed devices (you mean the two nic devices?) will be fine, because of the local routing table on your home server and your synology.

You can choose on the multihomed devices the default router, if you want to use the "main" router, setup the default gateway on the first connection and leave blank on the second NIC.

example :

- main router LAN : 192.168.0.1

- second router (video) LAN : 192.168.23.1

your home server setup :

NIC1 : 192.168.0.100/24, gw : 192.168.0.1, dns:8.8.8.8

NIC2 - video : 192.168.23.100/24, gw:empty, dns: empty

In this setup you can reach the video devices over ip, on the second NIC because of the route table of your home server.

of course you have to setup the video network dhcp on the synology to give the right gw and dns to the video clients.

ex : camera1 : 192.168.23.200/24,gw:192.168.23.1,dns1:8.8.8.8

the second router's WAN port connected to the to the first router's LAN.

After this, you can setup the port forward on the second router AND on the first router too.

On the first router every port forward must use the second routers WAN ip.

I hope it's clear - english in not my mother language ;-)

BR

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Second router and network as client on first router-Solution
2018-10-29 18:24:35 - last edited 2023-04-01 06:00:13

Hi Dale

1. Yes !

2. Multihomed devices (you mean the two nic devices?) will be fine, because of the local routing table on your home server and your synology.

You can choose on the multihomed devices the default router, if you want to use the "main" router, setup the default gateway on the first connection and leave blank on the second NIC.

example :

- main router LAN : 192.168.0.1

- second router (video) LAN : 192.168.23.1

your home server setup :

NIC1 : 192.168.0.100/24, gw : 192.168.0.1, dns:8.8.8.8

NIC2 - video : 192.168.23.100/24, gw:empty, dns: empty

In this setup you can reach the video devices over ip, on the second NIC because of the route table of your home server.

of course you have to setup the video network dhcp on the synology to give the right gw and dns to the video clients.

ex : camera1 : 192.168.23.200/24,gw:192.168.23.1,dns1:8.8.8.8

the second router's WAN port connected to the to the first router's LAN.

After this, you can setup the port forward on the second router AND on the first router too.

On the first router every port forward must use the second routers WAN ip.

I hope it's clear - english in not my mother language ;-)

BR

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Re:Second router and network as client on first router
2018-11-18 04:34:27 - last edited 2021-04-20 11:20:16

Thanks, Peli.  It sounds like you're saying exactly the thing I was saying and trying to do.  This is at an out-of-town location so I can't work on it again until next weekend but I'll try again.

Dale

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1406

Replies: 2

Related Articles