Question on how Deco P7 handles MAC adresses in mesh

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-10-31 13:36:47 - last edited 2018-12-18 09:36:10

Hi,
Have a question regarding how devices are handled in the mesh created by the P7 devices:

Background:
I recently tried to extend my present network based on a Netgear router by adding some other Netgear devices.
This, however, does not work as good as expected (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/Improve-handling-of-MAC-adresses-and-IP-adress-reservation-in/idc-p/1654743/highlight/true#M1844).

In short, the reason is, that Netgear handles devices connected to a mesh device by assigning a "translated MAC address" to the device, that is, the first six digits are changed to something different.
This unfortunately had the consequence, that devices identified by their MAC address are no longer identified correctly - including for some reason also some cloud services (e.g. my doorbell from ring.com and my household appliances from Miele) are effectively disconnected 

Options
1 Reply
Re:Question on how Deco P7 handles MAC adresses in mesh
2019-01-30 05:52:31

In a Deco mesh system, the MAC address of a client device will not be translated. Thus don't worry about that.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 735

Replies: 1