Archer C5400 v2 - Is it a hub or a switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-11-11 01:14:04

If the Archer C5400 is in deed a switch, why is the following scenario happening?

Desktop <Cat6> Switch <Cat6> C5400 port 4 <Cat6> Cable Modem - All Hard wired

File Server <Cat6> C5400 Port 1 <WiFi, about 6 feet from router> Media Player

If I do a serious pull from the Internet on my Desktop, the connection between the File Server and Media Player goes to complete crap. Anything on wifi, doesn't matter if it is using the 2.4GHz radio or either of the 5GHz radios goes to crap. As soon as I bandwidth limit the desktop connection (my Internet is 300mbit), the Media Player returns to normal. If the C5400 LAN ports are indeed switched, this should not be happening at all as ONLY the C5400 is a common transmit path through the whole network, and the two traffic paths are divergent and never cross.

Is there any reason that this should be happening on this high end consumer device, or do I need to actually put a real switch in front of it to isolate my internal traffic from my Internet based? My previous routers all handled this properly like they should, but the several hundred dollar device just doesn't seem to actually handle it correctly.

I am on the 20170630 firmware, and will be upgrading that once the current movie is over. None of the fixes shown in the Bug Fixes list pertain to this issue, but I do have the problem of the router forgetting its configuration when power cycled (like when the power company just changed my meter and I lost all config and couldn't find my backup).

Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer C5400 v2 - Is it a hub or a switch?
2018-11-12 15:58:56

All LAN ports on routers are switches. Hub is old tech and only supports up to 100Mb. 

Archer TBE550E
Options
Re:Re:Archer C5400 v2 - Is it a hub or a switch?
2018-11-13 00:20:34

Hence my question. If the C5400 is indeed a switch, why are 2 divergent traffic paths, that would not touch each other at all in a real switch, seeming to share bandwidth internall and causing problems in the wifi network? Does this mean that the WiFi part of the router shares an ASIC with one of the switch ports maybe?

Options
Re:Re:Re:Archer C5400 v2 - Is it a hub or a switch?
2018-11-14 15:04:49

Possible. Also there is the LAG feature too so this maybe a reason as well. 

Who knows for sure. This forum is not really active and noboby from TP-Link seems to respond. For this reason and a couple others, my 5400x will be going back to place of purchase. 

The router seems nice and is fairly stable. WiFi is great. It's unfortuneate that TP-Link isn't more active here in the forums. 

Archer TBE550E
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 851

Replies: 3

Related Articles