Acess Control List (ACL) with Deco M5

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-12-19 18:41:01

Is there any way of blocking connections from unknown devices (unknown MAC addresses)  to my Deco wifi if they discover the wifi password?  I would like to build an Access Control List but do not see any way of doing this with Deco M5.

I cannot allocate an unknown device to a Parental Controls group to capture its traffic as the device goes offline before I am aware of it, so I don't even know what websites it accessed.  I have seen two foreign devices connect and then never seen them again.  Maybe one device using MAC address spoofing.  How to know?

I occassionally see these Deco messages telling me that a new device connected to my Deco network in the middle of the night so I have to assume that the device knows the wifi password.  I can change the password of course, but if I have a device that is leaking the password, this will only fix things for a while.  I really need to be able to block MAC addresses that are unknown.

Any suggestions?

Dave D.

Options
11 Reply
Re:Acess Control List (ACL) with Deco M5
2018-12-20 08:54:35

There is no ACL on Deco.

You can block devices. Tap on the unknown device, then tap the three dots on the top right, you will see Block.

Deco has antivirus powered by TrendMicro. It's not that easy to hack your network. You can also check the log of the antivirus, it will tell you what attack has been blocked.

Options
Re:Re:Acess Control List (ACL) with Deco M5
2018-12-20 15:37:44

My greatest concern is devices, manufactured in other countries, that connect wirelessly to Deco.  You have to give them the wireless password to connect, but then there is no way to know if they transmit that password to some offshore server or service.

I know I can not install such devices on the network, but everything from my security system to my wifi controled power outlets to my thermostat connect to the Deco network.  I don't want to disable them all but can I trust them all?  Without an ACL, I don't see any way to protect my network from devices that intentionally or unintentionally leak my wifi password.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Acess Control List (ACL) with Deco M5
2018-12-20 21:17:38

Deco software is a bit limited compared to Google WiFi for example... 

Options
2018-12-21 03:26:22

Devices like your computer, thermostat will not leak password. They are your own devices. You can trust them. 

As for those unknown devices, you can block them.

Options
2018-12-27 23:28:12 - last edited 2018-12-27 23:29:07

Just had a conversation with online support. This currently is not an option. I agree that a black list is not an ideal way of controlling access, a device has to first be allowed to connect to the network before it can be blocked. This means that the damage can be done BEFORE they are denied access, a bit like shutting the door after the horse has bolted. A "allow only certain MAC addresses" feature would be much better & is preemptive. I have asked the support agent I spoke to to suggest this feature in an update, I think it would be great to have it added & the more of us that request it the more likely it is to be included. I have the deco M9 by the way. 

Options
Re:Re:Acess Control List (ACL) with Deco M5
2018-12-29 07:49:16 - last edited 2018-12-29 07:51:19

Anton L.Z. wrote

There is no ACL on Deco.

You can block devices. Tap on the unknown device, then tap the three dots on the top right, you will see Block.

Deco has antivirus powered by TrendMicro. It's not that easy to hack your network. You can also check the log of the antivirus, it will tell you what attack has been blocked.

Not that secure, mine was hacked within minutes. That's why I want a white list only access. 

Options
2018-12-31 21:18:55

This has now become a huge issue for me. The person is still connecting to my deco network but is hiding their mac address, I can see that new devices have connected but no mac address is visible so I am unable to black list them & they have free access to my broadband with complete immunity. 

PLEASE PROVIDE A WHITE LIST OPTION IN AN UPDATE AS A MATTER OF URGENCY. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Acess Control List (ACL) with Deco M5
2019-01-02 09:40:19
I think TP-Link will do that
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Acess Control List (ACL) with Deco M5
2019-01-02 09:51:58

But we should be able to find the Mac address, on my deco, it shows up, I can send you some picture. In the first picture, we tap on Vivo X9, you will get the second picture, type    on the Icon on the second picture, you will be able to see the mac address. 

Options
Re:Acess Control List (ACL) with Deco M5
2021-03-14 17:34:35

This is a feature in Android 10, MAC randomization is enabled by default. Even when I blocked a certain user he can still use my SSID, the phone will just generate a random MAC Address. The initial workaround I did to prevent the user to use my SSID is to change the password. The TP-Link team should have an ACL for the permanent resolution for this issue it's a security breach. See some of my screenshot compilation below. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3638

Replies: 11