WA500g is 'local only' :(

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2012-12-01 15:28:26
Region : Australia

Model : TL-WA500G

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP : Spintel

I have a TP-Link TD-W8901G wireless modem/router (ROUTER). That is working fine.

I have TP-Link WA500G (AP) which is connected by ethernet to my PVR. I was using in client mode and so my PVR can access the network.

When I initially set up the AP it was a nightmare, but eventually I got it to work and it had been working brilliantly for a year. Unfortunately my modem and AP were recently reset, and since then I cannot figure out how to get the AP to work again.

I am running Win Vista.

ROUTER settings
IP = 192.168.1.1

On my computer for TCP/IPv4 settings I use "obtain IP automatically". I specify the DNS server addresses to the 2 addresses given to me by my ISP.

AP
IP = 192.168.1.51

To configure the AP I am connecting it to my laptop via ethernet, then logging in to 192.168.1.51 and nominating the following settings:

LAN
Static IP
IP Address: 192.168.1.51
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1 [this is the same as my ROUTER IP - is this correct?]
Mac address: F4-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX

WIRELESS SETTINGS - basic
SSID: TP-LINK_BF435A
Region: Australia
Channel: 6 (same channel that my ROUTER uses)
Mode: 54mps

WIRELESS MODE SETTINGS
Client checked
Enable WDS unchecked
SSID: (I have surveyed to connect to my ROUTER)

WIRELESS SECURITY
Disabled (I will enable once I get the AP working)

WIRELESS MAC ADDRESS FILTERING
Disabled

WIRELESS STATISTICS
1 F4-EC-38-BF-43-5A AP-DOWN 0 171687 (this is the MAC of the AP)
-> It is obviously not connected to the ROUTER

DHCP
Disabled

DHCP CLIENTS
None

ADDRESS RESERVATION
None

WIRELESS SETTINGS
Nothing checked

Theoretically, if the AP settings are correct, I should be able to turn off my laptop's wireless adaptor and connect to the internet using the AP. However, this is not working as I am only getting a local connection.

What settings do I have wrong? Should I change the LAN TCP/IPv4 settings on my computer?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Options
2 Reply
Re:WA500g is 'local only' :(
2012-12-02 13:28:47
Is the security settings on the 500G the same with your root router :confused:
Options
Re:WA500g is 'local only' :(
2012-12-04 12:44:47
Actually, 500G should have wireless security which is exact the same with 8901g. After you put the correct on the TP-LINK, the 500g will come back to life. Wish you good luck. Sometimes to make the network thing work as designed is not a easy job.:rolleyes:
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 705

Replies: 2