Ethernet Backhaul through modem/router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-12-31 04:01:51 - last edited 2019-01-05 02:31:08

Hello everyone!

Does anyone know if it's ok to set up another Deco unit through the own modem/router to which the main Deco unit is connected?

Something like this: modem/router > lan 1 port > main Deco unit

> lan 2 port > 2nd Deco unit

That is, the 2nd unit is not connected directy to the main one, but through the lan ports of the modem/router.

I tried it and the 2nd unit did actually work (green led, connected, internet ok), but I couldn't tell if the unit was working because of the wi fi (it's within range of the main unit) of through ethernet backhaul.

That's important for me because my PS4 will be connected to this 2nd Deco unit and I'd rather have it wired.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Ethernet Backhaul through modem/router
2019-01-04 07:13:03

Hi Rune_Walker,

Yep, Ethernet Backhaul also works in your case. The 2nd unit is actually communicating with the main one through the Ethernet connection.

Also, you can connect PS4 wired to the 2nd unit and it will work under the Deco network as well.

Options
Re:Re:Ethernet Backhaul through modem/router
2019-01-05 02:29:05 - last edited 2019-01-05 02:31:08
Thanks for the reply! Everything seems to be working perfect so far!
Options
2019-02-16 06:48:49

Hi. i am glad i found this thread as i am considering buying 3 M5s for my house and i am also thinking of connecting all the M5s into my Router lan ports.

I am thinking of connecting all 3 of these M5s into my RouterLAN ports.

my questions

1) Shuld i run this in 'ROUTER' mode or 'ACCESS point' mode?

2) Should i switch off the WIFI signal of the existing router, because my main M5 will be very close by, so that i generate only one WIFI signal?

3) If i run on access point mode, does that mean i will have 3 WIFI signals generated by each M5, or i will have one? I do not want my M5 to act as wifi extenders..

please can someone help? .

Options
2020-03-31 13:24:41

@TP-Link Deco When using M9 as a router with ethernet backhaul, your site suggests to place Main Deco behind modem, and other Decos behind main.

My home layout is forcing me to wire one of the slave M9s on the other side of the modem/router. If I want to use the Main Deco M9 as a router, and ISP modem in bridge mode.

Do I need to put a third switch with a VLAN?

See attached image:

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3077

Replies: 4

Related Articles