Deco M5 home network solution

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-01-02 20:02:51

Hi friends,

I'm looking to buy the Deco M5 solution from TP-Link and would like to know if I can use the devices as shown below. Basically I will buy 3 Deco M5 connect them via network cable to a switch and in some Deco M5 use the second ethernet port to connect another device. Can I do this?

Live long and prosper,

Marcelo Magalhães

Rio de Janeiro - RJ - Brasil

Options
7 Reply
Re:Deco M5 home network solution
2019-01-02 21:36:48

yes, you can do in ap mode, not in router mode.

Options
Re:Re:Deco M5 home network solution
2019-01-03 08:56:21

Okay, but in AP mode can I use the two ethernets ports of Deco? One for the “input” of the network signal and another for the “output” of the network signal, like a switch / hub?

Options
Re:Re:Re:Deco M5 home network solution
2019-01-03 10:09:45

In AP mode, you can use the two Ethernet ports as you want.

Deco is suitable for your home network.

Options
2019-01-04 18:35:13

if you want to use router mode, so you can use guest network, parent control,...,

you need to put one Deco M5 between load balance and the switch.

Options
2019-01-17 14:21:42

Ok. I redesigned my topology to try to take advantage of the mesh network. Is it ok now? So Deco M5 can work in their mesh network?

Options
2020-05-05 18:23:37

@marcelovvm 

Hi. This redesigned topology is exactly my network setup with the same devices. Did you go ahead and set this up? I would be interested in your experience. I'm no networking expert and I think it could be optimised, for example, I think the modems 1 & 2 could be removed and the load balancer configured to connect directly to ISP. I haven't tried it but interested to see if you had.

Regards, Mark.

Options
2020-08-17 01:10:37

@marcelovvm 

Hi Marcelo, 

I am just new to TP link wifi. Can i ask you this question.

I just purchased a Deco M4 3 pack.

1. Since I already have a modem+router unit, I want all the Deco units in AP mode
  • In AP mode, can i connect all the Deco units to a switch as shown in the diagram below ? Is this possible ?
    • Will I still be able to use just 1 SSID and will fast roaming work 
    • How you setup and tested that this actually works ( see diagram below ). 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4603

Replies: 7

Related Articles