Issues with Apple devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-01-04 19:45:59

Hi all, 

Have been using my Deco M5 mesh kit (2 APs) for a few months and I love it. The wife, however...does not. I am Windows/Android and she is all Apple. Her Macbook constantly takes several seconds to reconnect to the Wifi when coming out of sleep mode. Same thing with her iPhone, which is particularly annoying because we use Chromecast Audio's for our multi-room music setup so when she wants to open her phone to change the volume it can take a full minute or two to reconnect to wifi after which Google Home can re-connect to the Chromecast Audios to be able to adjust the volume. 

I would say 9 times out of 10, my Android phone stays connected and does not have this issue. Occasionally I will have to toggle Wifi on and off again on my phone to get it to re-discover the Chromecast devices, not ideal but only happens once every few weeks. 

My WIndows laptop stays connected and connects right away out of sleep mode. Her Macbook takes a long time to reconnect when its woken up and will regularly get stuck on the 'Resolving Host' message in Chrome when she is trying to load a web page, usually until the page times out. When she retries a few times eventually it will load. 

I have put her devices as 'Priority devices' in the Deco app. Tried creating a new network in case any legacy settings applied to the old wifi name was causing issues, didn't help. 

I found another post suggesting I change the DNS servers to a public server which I did, it doesn't help. 

I know there is no magic 'make this thing work for OSX/iOS devices' switch, but I can't figure this one out. Is there anybody else with this issue? Any potential solutions? This is driving her nuts and by extension me because I have to hear about it all the time...

Thanks!

Options
7 Reply
Re:Issues with Apple devices
2019-01-04 20:36:42

You activate "802.11r" Fast Roaming ???
If yes, forgot and register again wifi network into apple device. 
If no, try activate.

Options
Re:Re:Issues with Apple devices
2019-01-04 21:10:30

Hi there,

Yes have tried with and without fast roaming and forgetting the network. Even tried setting up a new network and it didn't help

Options
Re:Re:Re:Issues with Apple devices
2019-01-05 03:46:51

One suggestion, set up the guest network and disable 2.4ghz band (or 5ghz band). then connect the apple devices to the guest network and see if that narrows down the connect/reconnect problems.

I don't think you'll be able to control chromecast devices on the main network from the guest one though. 

Some devices seem to struggle with mesh networks (I changed to M5 from Orbi which has some issues with apple devices per their community page).

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Issues with Apple devices
2019-01-06 13:44:19

Ok good idea disabling one of the bands. I had already tried the guest network for her devices just to see if it made any difference, but I left both bands enabled. I have turned off the 5ghz for now and will monitor it for a day or two and report back. 

Thanks!

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Issues with Apple devices
2019-01-06 17:38:59

May have found the issue...when I turned off the 5ghz my Android phone slowed to molasses... So I am guessing the Apple devices connect preferentially to the 2.4 and always have the issue whereas my Android/Windows devices jump to the 5 and then don't see the issue?

Anyways still weird. I have maybe 20 devices connected to the wifi, mostly smart switches, Chromecast and such, although the Chromecasts may be on the 5ghz...come to think of it is there any way to tell which device is connected to which band??

Anyways will continue with the 5ghz only and see if the problem is really resolved...

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Issues with Apple devices
2019-01-06 17:40:01

May have found the issue...when I turned off the 5ghz my Android phone slowed to molasses... So I am guessing the Apple devices connect preferentially to the 2.4 and always have the issue whereas my Android/Windows devices jump to the 5 and then don't see the issue?

Anyways still weird. I have maybe 20 devices connected to the wifi, mostly smart switches, Chromecast and such, although the Chromecasts may be on the 5ghz...come to think of it is there any way to tell which device is connected to which band??

Anyways will continue with the 5ghz only and see if the problem is really resolved...

Options
Re:Issues with Apple devices
2020-10-17 23:07:00

@Boogityman Hi! I have the same problem but in a TPLink AC60 router... All my Apple divice have problem to get your IP adress but any other device has no problem. There any body have a solution?

Regards.

Pablo.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3204

Replies: 7

Related Articles