Votes

2 factor authentication

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

2 factor authentication

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
12 Reply
Re:2 factor authentication
2022-03-14 07:00:12

KMTP wrote

My Internet Service Provider's (ISP) WAN IP continually receives a lot of DDOS attacks and Port Scans from malware producers. Recently a hacker team called Deadbolt hacked my NAS an encrypted all data. This was done behind a TP Link "firewall" /Secure Shield. Now I have bought a new updated router and I find out that not even this new TP Link router has two factor identification!!! It does not feel safe at all! I definately need two factor identification. How can I do this? Do I have to buy another SAFE router from another brand or does TP Link have a solution?

Hello @KMTP, thank you for reaching out to us, and welcome to the TP-Link community.

Can I have the model number of the TP-Link router? As far as I know, two-factor authentication is not available on the home router now, but there is already a plan to support it. Since we don't have any specific details that I can share around if it will come to all the home routers, or when it might, I'll suggest you return it if this really determines the purchase.

BTW, Omada Controller v5.0 already supports two-factor authentication, you may check if any of the business routers can match your requirements:

MFA / 2FA for Omada Cloud - Business Community (tp-link.com)

Options
Re:2 factor authentication
2022-07-04 13:35:14 - last edited 2022-07-11 12:46:12

A two-factor authentication won’t be a good idea as any of the types such as SMS or Google, authenticator needs internet to work and will make the router inaccessible in offline mode. For restricted access, the wifi router provides MAC address whitelisting where on first login, list of MAC addresses can be added from which login should be allowed.

However, the MAC addresses should be kept safe as it can easily be cloned and a malicious agent can easily act as authorized user if learns the address.

Options

Voters 2