Archer C9 v5 100% cpu load

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-01-29 06:53:42

Hello. Wondering if someone can help. Purchased a new archer C9 v5 to replace A7 router but with little traffic and nothing enabled on the router the cpu load goes to 100%, router is very hot and reboots sometimes. I have QOS, parental controls, VPN, ddns,port nat, ipv6, firewall, all disabled. Disabled everything except wifi 2.4 and 5 and usb drive connected and internet connection via PPPoe. Any idea why cpu goes up to 100% right away and router is very hot. Latest firmware already installed. 

Options
7 Reply
Re:Archer C9 v5 100% cpu load
2019-01-29 13:25:29
No idea. Sounds like you are working to isolate the issue. I suspect the PC more that the router. I would try the following: Power all off and let it cool down, remove the PC from the router, power them up. wait a bit, check the router temperature, check the PC percentage when not connected to the internet, Is the PC software current, is there malware on the PC, if the PC was connected via cable try it on WIFI first, use a different cable between the router and the PC, if you have a way, check the internet traffic volume, can you try a different PC, and so on. Also if you still have the old router, swap them out to see what happens. Let us know what you find.
Options
2019-02-24 08:49:33

I have a similar problem. Archer VR600 for two weeks and pppoe 1000Mb / s - the router seems to be warming up and its cpu probably works at 100%. The network monitor and the system log do not load at all in the router's settings menu. After some time the Internet starts to have problems with loading websites as if it has not seen dns for a while. Sometimes I even have a message in the browser that the page loading error check dns. After a while it starts and works for a few minutes. OK. Earlier, I had Asus and similar problems. There, it shows the graph of the CPU load and you can see how it grows up to 100% every now and then. As I connect the old tp-linka with the 100 Mbps WAN port, everything works fine. The internet provider claims that everything is OK for him, that it is the router's fault. Before I call the service again, I want to eliminate the problems with the router. What can cause such a load on the router's processor?

Options
2020-02-16 12:16:44

@Metallicafrk87 I have the same problem with my C9 v5. I only notice the problem after plugin my USB to share data. Tried use all the FTP client I have on pc, laptop, iPad all the client hanging while connecting to FTP server. I figure out the CPU Load always 98-100% all the time. also tried to turn on/off all the futures still not work.

Current workaround: restart router every time I need to use the FTP server, it's will works for a while before full load again.

Options
2020-02-17 08:14:40

@Metallicafrk87 

Same problem, if dont touch usb 3.0 port everything seems working.

Options
2020-02-17 08:35:12

@Metallicafrk87 I just downgrade router firmware from Archer C9(US)_V5_190403 -> Archer C9(US)_V5_180423, the router seems working now. I'm not sure if it actually fixes the problem. 

Options
2020-02-19 11:27:38

@nghinhut 

i found that unchecking "enable nat boost" in System tools -> System  parameters lows down cpu load, if boost is acceleration, then  "NAT Acceleration is a set of special designed software rules with hardware features created to speed up internet connections. They are usually required for peak speed when you have incoming internet speed above certain level. You typically do not need it for internet speed below 100 mb/sec."

Taken from https://routerguide.net/nat-acceleration-on-or-off/

I think there can be problem with "enable nat boost" enabled in any type of speed. It seems router has not enough CPU power or else.

Options
2020-02-19 11:52:57
Disable NAT boost is the first thing I tried to turn off, unfortunately, it won't work (also tried to restart and turn off other features). Only after I downgraded firmware everything working ok, CPU load always under 50% (NAT boost still disable).
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 10186

Replies: 7