Are these routers simply garbage?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-02-05 20:19:57 - last edited 2019-02-05 20:21:34

Hi all.

Suddenly all Internet access in my home ceased working. I did the usual routine of rebooting the cable modem and router.

Minutes later, no Internet over Wi-Fi. And again. And again. And again.

The highly touted Archer C7 is now in the garbage. I then pulled out my previous router, the TP-Link TL-WR841N and hooked it up.

Later in the evening, we had no Wi-Fi Internet. The router started prompting for a password and then claiming that the well-known password was incorrect, or Apple devices would simply return the asinine "could not join" error with no explanation.

Even my main computer, which is hard-wired into the router, couldn't pull up the admin page. I rebooted everything, found a firmware update available, and installed it on the router.

This morning: no Internet over Wi-Fi, although the hard-wired computer still had Internet. Toggling the power on the router results in five or 10 minutes of access, then nothing.

WTF?

Options
6 Reply
Re:Are these routers simply garbage?
2019-02-05 21:52:43
Attach your PC direct to the modem and see if you have any issues. Seems weird that both routers have the issue. I suspect it is your modem or ISP.
Options
2019-02-05 23:34:49 - last edited 2019-02-05 23:35:48

Thanks for the reply. I agree, but when direct cable into the router fails even to bring up the router's own admin page, it seems to be a profound problem.

I've replaced the TP-Link with an Asus just now.

We'll see how this goes.

Options
Re:Re:Are these routers simply garbage?
2019-02-09 01:23:48
I have much the same issue, seems like replacing the router with one from a more reputable manufacturer is the only solution.
Options
2019-02-09 01:54:02 - last edited 2019-02-09 01:55:11

Well, I plugged the Asus in exactly the same way and the same location.  It has worked flawlessly for several days now, with much better speed and somewhat better coverage.

I think I gave both TP-Links a fair shot, and they were literally unusable.  I don't know how you can field a solid-state product that works briefly and then simply deteriorates to the point of complete failure.

Options
Re:Re:Are these routers simply garbage?
2019-02-09 21:11:58
I think you gave it a fair shot. I did find on my Archer C8, sometimes signing on to the router, http://tplinklogin.net/ would not work where http://192.168.0.1/ would work.
Options
2019-02-09 22:34:08

I also tried that and found the same thing. Odd behavior.

I don't want to rag on the TP products too much in their own forum, but the one I replaced them with has a much better browser-based UI and a bunch of convenience features I didn't even know it had... you don't realize how clunky some of them still are (and not just TP) until you see one done better.

Regardless, if it's working for you, let it ride...

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1718

Replies: 6

Related Articles