Speed drops on router help

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-02-20 12:18:38
Model: TD-W8961N  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: V3

Hi all. 

Thought i would try on here before i write my router off. 

I live in guernsey and internet not great usualy get about 12-15mbps upload about 1mbps. Recently only been getting 2.5 or less download speed been awful. Have restarted multiple times and reset to factory twice usualy first few mins its okay get 12 or so then drops again. Gone as low as 0.5 i have rang isp they say everything is fine on their end. I have changed the filter and even dried different socket in the house but still the same wired connection is the same too. Ran out of ideas now thanks i did upgrade to the latest firmware too. Thanks kind regards 

Options
2 Reply
Re:Speed drops on router help
2019-02-20 14:41:38
Power cycle your modem, PC and router is always a good start. Connect the PC direct to the modem bypassing the router to ensure the issue is in the router before replacing it. The issue may be your ISP, modem, or in your wiring. If you still have slow speed without the router, check the wiring. Wire connections is something to play close attention to. Best to have a direct line to the modem. Connections should be of good quality, clean, and the nuts snug. Unscrew, take apart, clean, and reattach helps sometimes. Do not have a three way connector going to nothing (no device attached) Also try different top quality ethernet cables (Cat5e or Cat6) from the modem to router and router to the PC.
Options
Re:Speed drops on router help
2019-02-21 06:56:56

Hi, it is necessary to check the line quality when the speed gets slow. 

1. Login into the web interface of the router: 

2. Go to status-device info page to check the ADSL parameter. Can refer to the instruction below:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-547.html 

and you can post 2 pictures showing the normal speed/slow speed separately to do a comparison analysis there. lol

Options