Philips Hue bulbs with Deco M9 Plus WITHOUT hue bridge

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-02-28 00:05:35
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have recently purchased a 2 pack of Deco M9 plus on the basis of them also being a Zigbee hub. Now, when I go to add a Philips Hue bulb in the app it prompts me to connect the Hue bridge! Why do I need to use the Hue bridge if the Deco natively supports Zigbee? 

I asked the question to support today, and after telling me to refer to the FAQ (which I already had read), said that 'the product does not work as I expected, and that I need to connect the Hue bridge! Why I say... why? This is the whole point of the Deco M9 plus isnt it? I don't want to have mutiple ZigBee hubs when I have the mesh network covering the whole house.

This must be possible (an Amazon Echo plus with built in ZigBee can talk to Hue bulbs fine - albeit with reduced functionality), so why am I told it cannot?

I asked the question if once 'configured' with the Hue bridge I could then remove the bridge from the system... though as of yet not received a responce... Any ideas?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Philips Hue bulbs with Deco M9 Plus WITHOUT hue bridge
2019-02-28 06:53:52

Hi Mark,
TP-link has note on their website: https://www.tp-link.com/en/Deco-M9-Plus/compatibility/

Deco M9 Plus is compatible with a whole range of IoT devices, from smart bulbs and plugs to sensors and thermostats. The products below can be controlled via the Deco app with no additional hub required*, and triggered using the Automation and Shortcut features. Note: Philips Hue bulbs need their own bridge.

Options
Re:Re:Philips Hue bulbs with Deco M9 Plus WITHOUT hue bridge
2019-02-28 08:16:06

Many thanks for that link, its definately something I had not come across before. Its a bit of a poor show though. I know they want to punt their own products but it is a pretty meagre offering. I have a load of Innr lights also, which also will not work I guess sad. So I guess I will have to reintroduce my Echo plus for ZigBee duties.... what a pain.... crying

Options
Re:Philips Hue bulbs with Deco M9 Plus WITHOUT hue bridge
2020-10-23 06:58:11

@MarkPayne I know this is an old thread but this is the exact same issue I have been dealing with.  I had high hopes when I purchased the Deco of being able to run all my Zigbee devices easily.  But it turns out Zigbee has several different protocol variations that are not compatible with each other,  The Deco M9 uses the Zigbee HA 1.2 standard (HA meaning "Home Automation").  There seems to be only a handful of products that support this standard, thus the small number of devices on their compatibility list.  I tried buying the Zigbee smart plug from Centralite and it paired just fine with the Deco M9.  However I am disappointed that the Zigbee Hub in the Deco doesn't seem to make any synced devices available to Amazon Alexa (but that is a topic for another thread).  The reason your Philips Hue lights don't pair with the Deco M9 is because they use the Zigbee Light Link (ZLL) protocol.  There is a new Zigbee 3.0 standard that is supposed to work with all the Zigbee standards.  I think this is what the Echo Plus hub uses but I'm not 100% sure.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 8079

Replies: 3

Related Articles