Turn off wifi for the extended signal

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-03-02 15:21:11
Model: TL-WA850RE  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: 1.0.0

I just bought a TL-WA850RE to get ethernet in a room. I do NOT want the TL-WA850RE to be a wifi extender, since I don't want it to interrupt my Ubiquiti network.

I saw a video on youtube over the interface, and there was a check box under settings/wireless/extended network but now on my own TP-link there's no such as.

How do I turn of the wifi? It should only recieve the wifi signal from my router, not extend it.

/Söder

Options
8 Reply
Re:Turn off wifi for the extended signal
2019-03-02 21:23:33
pls work
Options
2019-03-02 21:23:52

soder wrote

I just bought a TL-WA850RE to get ethernet in a room. I do NOT want the TL-WA850RE to be a wifi extender, since I don't want it to interrupt my Ubiquiti network.

I saw a video on youtube over the interface, and there was a check box under settings/wireless/extended network but now on my own TP-link there's no such as.

How do I turn of the wifi? It should only recieve the wifi signal from my router, not extend it.

/Söder

Options
2019-03-03 13:07:04

What do you mean with "please work" and then an empty quote?

/Söder

Options
2019-03-05 05:50:09

Hi Soder, the TL-WA850RE is a wifi range extender, and the extended network cannot be disabled.

While the extender won't affect the performance of other network; if you do worry about that, you can create a different name for the extender and do not use it.

Options
2019-07-27 01:28:35

I have exactly the same problem as Söder.

Model: TL-WA850RE - Australia
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 20181108 Rel. 56911(6585)

I did my research and decided to buy the TL-WA850RE Ranger Extender which is advertised as a having multiple uses, i.e. Range Extender; Access Point; and/or Wireless Adapter.  The Wireless Adapter is the function I needed because I have several devices that only have Ethernet and are nowhere near the main router.

I made my first purchase for the day, went home and configured everything including "turning off wireless the signal" and it worked perfectly.

So I went and purchased a second TL-WA850RE, on the same day for another device in my house.  Returned home and my previous joy turned to great disappointment.  The option of "turning off wireless signal" was missing.  Investigation revealed that my first purchase was Hardware V5 (which worked) and my second purchase, same day, same store was Hardware V6 obviously different firmware.

I raised query with TPLINK SUPPORT #239959, Stating that:-

Settings ==> Wireless ==> Extend Network; the "Extended 2.4GHz" check-box is missing.

TPLINK's response:-

Please go to Settings ==> Wireless ==> Extend Network; the "Extended 2.4GHz" and please uncheck the "Enable" of Extended 2.4GHz.

Could you send us the screenshot about what can you see after you clicked on the "Extend Network".

I responded with screenshots, however, they were without "Extended 2.4GHz" and checkbox, because it's missing.

TPLINK's response:-

According to the user guide of the TL-WA850RE, the management page you can see in your computer is normal.
You may refer to page 14 of user guide https://static.tp-link.com/2018/201805/20180509/1910012385_TL-WA850RE_UG_REV6.0.1.pdf

If you want turn off the wireless function of the range extender, you may unplugg it from the power socket.

I wonder how TPLINK expect me to take advantage of the Wireless Adapter capabilities if the Extender is not plugged in.

I read the manual in the provided link and see that the option of turning off wireless signal is no longer provided.

What can I say....The option to turn off wireless signal serves a purpose, and TPLINK have removed this option.

My own research has me believing that TPLINK removed the option from firmware upgrades early 2018, as my TL_WA850RE Hardware V5 has Firmware Version 1.0.0 Build 20180228 Rel. 38383 has the option available.

Regards

John

(Disappointed)

Options
2020-02-21 18:16:39
Thanks for a great post. Today was the first time after the purchase that I logged in the device again. I did a firmware upgrade, and also searched Google again for the "turn off wireless" problem. Found this thread again and saw your post. Strange that TP removed this function. /Söder
Options
2020-03-05 20:53:55 - last edited 2020-03-05 20:54:22

@soder I agree, I bought this strictly as an Ethernet extender, I had to relocate a PC that did not have a way to run a cable. WiFI was supposed to be able to be turned off. Since I can't my corporate WiFi is complaining about a rouge AP. So I guess I should have spent a few more bucks and bought a "bridge" but that was the intended purpose of this device.

Options
2020-06-02 00:54:31

@soder

Hi.  My suggestion is to enable access control using a white list (Advanced Settings -> Access Control), and then add nothing to the white list.

Options