Starhub IPTV over Wireless Bridge - Help

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-03-03 09:24:53

Hi,

My ISP in Singapore, Starhub, provides Internet and IPTV via two different ports of the Optical Network Terminal ("ONT"). See diagram below for existing set-up and proposed set-up. Port 1 of the ONT carries Internet traffic, whilst Port 2 of the ONT carries IPTV traffic with VLAN ID of 1091.

I'm wondering if it is possible to use a wireless bridge to carry the IPTV traffic (i.e. no need to utilize structure cabling and rely on wifi instead)? See below for proposed set-up.

Understand that some of the TP-Link routers are able to allow VLAN Group Tagging over both Ethernet Ports and Wifi Ports. The questions I have relate to router settings:

1) For Router A, is VLAN Group/Bridge Tagging (VLAN ID: 1091) over the Wifi Port sufficient for Router A to carry the IPTV Traffic it receives from the WAN port over the wifi bridge? Any other settings that need to be enabled/disabled on Router A?

2) For Router B, is any VLAN Group/Bridge Tagging (VLAN ID: 1091) required? I’m assuming Port 1 has to be tagged, but does the Wifi Port on Router B also have to be tagged? Any other settings that need to be enabled/disabled on Router B?

3) Can Router B be replaced with a simple Wireless Access Point (i.e. with DHCP disabled, NAT disabled etc)?

4) Finally, if the proposed setup is feasible, which TP-Link models would be best suited for above scenario (i.e. most economical)?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Starhub IPTV over Wireless Bridge - Help
2019-03-05 05:40:13

Hi, based on your request, a normal wifi router plus an extender may satisfy your needs. 

For example, Archer C7 + RE200; with Archer C7 connected to the port 2.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3766

Replies: 1

Related Articles