Memory leak in Tp-link Archer C2300? Router reboots when free memory run out...

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-03-12 16:03:46
Model: Archer C2300  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.0.3 Build 20180810 Rel. 62903

Hello to all!

Confusing things happens with my TP-link Archer C2300.

When the router boots up, it starts with about 50% free memory, then it goes up around 2% daily. After 20-25 days, it reaches 95-97% and rooter become pretty unstable. Admin panel starts to be unresponsible, VPN connections hangs and after 1 hour of struggling, the rooter reboots itself.

Reboot won't be a problem if it would happen immediately, but throughout that 1 hour, nothing works normally.

Usually it happens when 2-3 clients connects to the router's openVPN server. I am not sure, but it seems that normal connections (cable or wireless) don't result this failure.

I am also not sure, but maybe this problem started to occure only with the new firmware.

Any idea? Beta sw? Or anything?

Thanks,

Gergely

Options
19 Reply
Re:Memory leak in Tp-link Archer C2300? Router reboots when free memory run out...
2019-03-13 07:32:22

it seems that the capacity is exceeded with running it nearly a month so that the router cannot bear it.

did you try to reboot it regularly? once a week, once two weeks or so? Any good news?

Options
Re:Re:Memory leak in Tp-link Archer C2300? Router reboots when free memory run out...
2019-03-13 09:49:01
Thanks, but no... I haven't tried to reboot weekly because I don't think it is normal for a network hardware. Don't you think? It should work for years without touching it!
Options
Re:Re:Re:Memory leak in Tp-link Archer C2300? Router reboots when free memory run out...
2019-03-14 05:55:38

Hi, it is worthy to give it a go. Cause the issue happened periodically, and reboot can solve it. 

Besides, for the electrical devices, I will power cycle them randomly to keep it running normal.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Memory leak in Tp-link Archer C2300? Router reboots when free memory run out...
2019-03-14 08:36:14 - last edited 2019-03-14 08:36:52

No, I will not do this. If I can't repair it (with a beta sw, or with something else) it should go. Because auto reboot is not possible with this router, I can't automatize the reboot process (yes I could do this with a timer plug, but that is so unprofessional...)

I handle several servers and other network devices at my workplace. Usually we never reboot anything, only if we change something in the computers. There, the Microtik rooters and switches, the servers and all of the other devices runs for years without a single reboot.

It should be (and was) the normal at home too. Previously I used a Tp-Link 1043n and until I owned I rebooted maybe once or twice (yes, there were short power outgages, but my network devices are backed up with an ups).

For me, this should be the normal. If TP-Link can't fulfil this criteria, than bye-bye TP-Link...

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Memory leak in Tp-link Archer C2300? Router reboots when free memory run out...
2019-03-14 10:04:35

Hi,

I think it's a little strict for a home router to keep working for 1month. If you have some servers behind the router, I think you need a more stable router to meet your demand.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Memory leak in Tp-link Archer C2300? Router reboots when free memory run out...
2019-03-14 12:30:03

wifi_stealer wrote

Hi,

I think it's a little strict for a home router to keep working for 1month. If you have some servers behind the router, I think you need a more stable router to meet your demand.

My former TP-link routers could fulfil my requirements.

If we could write out a poll here, I think 99% of the votes would require "stable working without reboot for more than 1 month".

Yes, I know soho routers are not for professional use, but stability can't be the privilege of high end routers...

By the way, then please advise me which router should I buy?

(At least AC2300 capability, a few gigabit ports, VPN client what I use)

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Memory leak in Tp-link Archer C2300? Router reboots when free memory run out...
2019-03-15 19:54:19
I agree that a router should not need to be rebooted to keep it running.
Options
Re:Memory leak in Tp-link Archer C2300? Router reboots when free memory run out...
2019-03-16 09:25:34

Okay, any official help (for example a beta fw) would be good...

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Memory leak in Tp-link Archer C2300? Router reboots when free memory run out...
2019-03-19 03:52:39

Hi Buddy,

Can your computer keep working for a month without reboot? I don't think it's a good habbit.

Options
2019-03-25 09:34:56

Hi All!

Today I received a beta fw from TP-link support. I already installed it. Fingers crossed.

(By the way support also wrote back that the issue is strange and shouldn't be normal.)

And yes, I have several computers up for much more than 1 month.

I also have a soho notebook, which is on for more than 1 year (Win 10, updates are disallowed).

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 7843

Replies: 19