TP-Link AC1200 parent control or security access control doesn't cut off the traffic immediately

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TP-Link AC1200 parent control or security access control doesn't cut off the traffic immediately

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-03-19 12:26:49
Model: Archer C1200  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 3.0.4

Hi,

There are two issues related to internet access of a device:

Under parent control, I set to block internet access all time for a computer (I want to manually turn on and turn off the parent control to control the internet access). And when I turn on the parent control, it seems a running computer program is still able to keep accessing the internet.  But any new program could not access the internet. What I want is to cut off all the internet traffic immeditely no matter the program is running or not.

Under security access control, I set to block internet access all time for a computer (I want to manually turn on and turn off security access control to control the internet access). And when I turn on the security access control, there are two different behaviors for wired computer and wireless connected computers.

For wire connected computer, it seems a running computer program is still able to keep accessing the internet.  But any new program could not access the internet.

For wireless connected computer, it seems a both running computer program and new computer program have no internet access immeditely.

What I want is to cut off all the internet traffic immeditely no matter the program is running or not, and the computer is wired or wireless.

Thanks.

Options
6 Reply
Re:TP-Link AC1200 parent control or security access control doesn't cut off the traffic immediately
2019-03-20 06:11:53

Hey buddy,

how did you setup parental control? Follow the instruction https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/1531/

While if you want to cut off all the internet traffic immediately, why don't you setup access control? that would be much easier and more convenient. 

For access control, you can add the block internet access device into blacklist, https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/1535/ You can post some pictures about the parental control/access control settings page, that will help a lot.

Back to your request, if you want to cut off all the internet traffic immediately, you can login to the web page and add these devices under blacklist in access control page.

Good day. 

AC1200_User wrote

Hi,

There are two issues related to internet access of a device:

Under parent control, I set to block internet access all time for a computer (I want to manually turn on and turn off the parent control to control the internet access). And when I turn on the parent control, it seems a running computer program is still able to keep accessing the internet.  But any new program could not access the internet. What I want is to cut off all the internet traffic immeditely no matter the program is running or not.

Under security access control, I set to block internet access all time for a computer (I want to manually turn on and turn off security access control to control the internet access). And when I turn on the security access control, there are two different behaviors for wired computer and wireless connected computers.

For wire connected computer, it seems a running computer program is still able to keep accessing the internet.  But any new program could not access the internet.

For wireless connected computer, it seems a both running computer program and new computer program have no internet access immeditely.

What I want is to cut off all the internet traffic immeditely no matter the program is running or not, and the computer is wired or wireless.

Thanks.

Options
Re:Re:TP-Link AC1200 parent control or security access control doesn't cut off the traffic immediately
2019-03-20 07:58:22

I have the same issue with my ac2600. If I set up time controls so that access to the internet is blocked for my teenager’s computer after 11pm, if he already has fort nite running prior to 11pm, he can continue to play all night if he wants. If he tries to start playing after 11pm, the parental control works like it should. The problem is that it is normally the first scenario I am trying to address and the parental control is not helping. Any help would be appreciated. I need it to be automatic and it has to be with a wired connection. 

Thanks

Options
Re:Re:TP-Link AC1200 parent control or security access control doesn't cut off the traffic immediately
2019-03-20 13:15:02

Hi Happy_Man,

First, Thanks for your quick reply.

You asked, "While if you want to cut off all the internet traffic immediately, why don't you setup access control? that would be much easier and more convenient." 

That is exactly what I did. I created a white list for essential devices, like wireless printer, home phone, my smart phone (to log in the configuration page).  I try to block all other devices. Normally, I disable the access control, and enable it when I want my kids stop gaming. Here is the problem:

For wireless connected computer, it works as expected. The whole computer has no internet access immediately.

For wire connected computer, I got some trouble. It seems a running computer gaming program keeps accessing the internet (this is NOT what I want).  And any new program could not access the internet (that is what I want). 

Since a similar issued is also mentioned in this thread by another customer, I think you can reproduce this issue on your side. If not, please let me know, and I will walk you through step by step. Thanks.

Options
Re:Re:Re:TP-Link AC1200 parent control or security access control doesn't cut off the traffic immediately
2019-03-27 02:47:25

Hi AC1200_User,

Leehster uses parental control to limit the internet access, it may have something to do with the gaming typed he played, if it is kind of game whose flash has been loaded in advance, the parental control may not work, cause it has downloaded the game already; so does the ACL/access control. 

Back to your case, it is suggested to reboot the router before the ACL takes effect; meanwhile, a software released by TP-Link which called Tether can be used to manage the device, you can use it to reboot the router. 

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:TP-Link AC1200 parent control or security access control doesn't cut off the traffic immediately
2019-03-27 02:49:06

Leehster wrote

I have the same issue with my ac2600. If I set up time controls so that access to the internet is blocked for my teenager’s computer after 11pm, if he already has fort nite running prior to 11pm, he can continue to play all night if he wants. If he tries to start playing after 11pm, the parental control works like it should. The problem is that it is normally the first scenario I am trying to address and the parental control is not helping. Any help would be appreciated. I need it to be automatic and it has to be with a wired connection. 

Thanks

hey Leehster,

what kind of game did teenager play? It is kind of gaming the flashed has been loaded in advance? 

Try to clear the browser cache, and reboot the router to give it a go. 

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:TP-Link AC1200 parent control or security access control doesn't cut off the traffic immediately
2019-03-29 08:10:20

TP-LINK firmware is crap! Use DD-WRT if possible.

Gray_Blue7 wrote

Leehster wrote

Thanks

hey Leehster,

what kind of game did teenager play? It is kind of gaming the flashed has been loaded in advance? 

Try to clear the browser cache, and reboot the router to give it a go. 

Good day. 

Options