No 5 Ghz connection and a slow portal speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-04-04 08:08:33
Model: RE355  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: RE355(EU)_V1_180204

Hello everyone! My name's Philipp and I'm all new to this forum.

I've got a problem with my Re355 WLAN range extender. I received it with firmware version RE355(EU)_V1_151117. A few months ago I updated to version RE355(EU)_V1_180204. So far everything worked during the update process. But somehow I feel that the extender's web portal now has been working just very slow and the 5 Ghz led indication is not on anymore. Is this a known issue with this firmware and being fixed or am I the only one facing this?

Furthermore, is there a possibility to downgrade to the initial version? Because on that version, it was working well. The only reason I updated was because of the mentioned optimizations in the changelog. 

I appreciate your help and support.

Philipp

Options
11 Reply
Re:No 5 Ghz connection and a slow portal speed
2019-04-09 11:40:07

Hi,

The 5GHz led off means that the extender failed to connect  to the main router's 5GHz.

Did you try to change another web browser or devices to access the web portal?

Meanwhile, for the slow speed, it is suggested to do some troubleshooting to narrow down the issue first. Below is the instruction:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2232/

For the firmware, you can downgrade it, the procedures are the same as upgrading.

Good day.

denken wrote

Hello everyone! My name's Philipp and I'm all new to this forum.

I've got a problem with my Re355 WLAN range extender. I received it with firmware version RE355(EU)_V1_151117. A few months ago I updated to version RE355(EU)_V1_180204. So far everything worked during the update process. But somehow I feel that the extender's web portal now has been working just very slow and the 5 Ghz led indication is not on anymore. Is this a known issue with this firmware and being fixed or am I the only one facing this?

Furthermore, is there a possibility to downgrade to the initial version? Because on that version, it was working well. The only reason I updated was because of the mentioned optimizations in the changelog. 

I appreciate your help and support.

Philipp

Options
Re:Re:No 5 Ghz connection and a slow portal speed
2019-04-12 08:10:47

Hi

Thank you for your reply.

Well the problem I have when downgrading is that I always get a checksum error during the process at about 4% of progress. I'm using the re355_eu-up-ver1-0-0-P1[20151117-rel58604] file for downgrading. Do you know why I get this error?

Thank you for your support

Best regards

Philipp

Options
Re:Re:Re:No 5 Ghz connection and a slow portal speed
2019-04-15 03:52:59
Hi, Could you please paste a screenshot on the error page? Which country are you located? You need to download the correct firmware from the country where you bought this extender so that downgrade will be successfully done. And when you downgrade, please make sure you connect the computer to the extender by wired connection. If possible, please try to use a different web browser to downgrade and see what happens. By the way, for the 5G LED issue, it is possible that the main router 5G signal is weak so extender has problem to connect to it. You may relocate the extender and keep it closer to your router and check it is an issue. And please try to use a fixed channel on 5G like 36, 44 or 48. About how to change channel on your router 5G, please try to contact with router support and they will help you to do that if you are not very sure how to do that. Any update, can let us know. Good day!
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:No 5 Ghz connection and a slow portal speed
2019-04-15 09:19:57

Hello Kevin

See attached the screenshots. One of them shows the actual error message, one the firmware version and one the webpage I downloaded the initial version. I'm connected by wire.

I attached you one picture of all three extendes I've been using. All of them are on the new firmware as I updated them and all of them cannot be downgraded due to the described error message.

I live in Switzerland. I downloaded the firmware from the following link: https://www.tp-link.com/ch/support/download/re355/#Firmware

About the 5 Ghz issue: I rember before I updated to the new firmware version that the 5Ghz connection was established as it was indicated by the correspondent LED. And it was working during the time of the old firmware at the same places the repeaters are located now still. When I reset the repeater or search for the 5Ghz signal, I receive it correctly, but they never get connect to it. Even close to the router. The thing with the channels I have to test first.

Thank you for your help.

Philipp

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:No 5 Ghz connection and a slow portal speed
2019-04-16 12:06:42

Hi,

Please try to downgrade to this firmware first and see if you still have this issue:

http://support.tp-link.com/f/0045bff74c/?dl=1

Any update, please let us know.

Good day!

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:No 5 Ghz connection and a slow portal speed
2019-04-16 12:18:21 - last edited 2019-04-16 14:00:46

Hello Kevin

Unfortunately this bin-file didn't work either. It shows up the same error again and again.

This is pretty strange. Somehow as the system of the repeater wouldn't allow any downgrades. But according to you this is possible.

Philipp

File:
Untitled.jpgDownload
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:No 5 Ghz connection and a slow portal speed
2019-04-19 02:47:21

Hi Philipp,

Cause the latest firmware fixed the WPA2 Security (KRACKs) Vulnerability, I confirmed with our engineers, there is no way to downgrade it to the original firmware yet.

While per I said before, we can do some troubleshooting regarding to the current problem.

For the slow portal issue, it is suggested to change another web browser or devices to do a comparison analysis.

For the 5ghz, please hard reset the extender and reconfigure it to give it a go.

Below is the instruction to set it up. 

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/re355/#video or https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/930/

Note: Please use the home wifi password to configure it.

May it work, and have a nice day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:No 5 Ghz connection and a slow portal speed
2019-04-25 17:10:47

Hello Kevin

This is bad news with the downgrade. :( IS there no possibilty to make an excuse?

The slow portal speed can also be seen on any other internet browser. I'm sure it is caused by the actual firmware.

I've reseted the repeaters many, many times. It has not been of any help yet.

Greets

Philipp

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:No 5 Ghz connection and a slow portal speed
2019-04-28 01:27:07

Hi Philipp,

How did you login to the web portal of the extender? Could you please shot a short video and send it to us.

Besides, I'm afraid that there is no way to downgrade the firmware. And the web UI won't affect the performance of extender, if you do mind, you can use the Tether app to manage it. 

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/re355/#Apps

May it help and have a nice day. 

denken wrote

Hello Kevin

This is bad news with the downgrade. :( IS there no possibilty to make an excuse?

The slow portal speed can also be seen on any other internet browser. I'm sure it is caused by the actual firmware.

I've reseted the repeaters many, many times. It has not been of any help yet.

Greets

Philipp

Options
Re:No 5 Ghz connection and a slow portal speed
2020-05-20 14:18:39

@denken / Philip,

I am having exactly the same issue. After upgrading the firmware of RE355 to V1_180204, my device does not dected 5GHz network anymore. I tried everything, reset the repeater, reset the router, change bandwith and channel but nothing works.

Is there a solution for this?

Thanks

Francesco

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1780

Replies: 11

Related Articles