An Investigation on multi-functional USB port of TP-LINK routers

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-06-13 09:46:25
Many of TP-LINK wireless routers have the USB ports which can perform the functions of storage sharing, ftp server, media server and printer server.However, because of the limitation of hardware and software, the USB ports may not satisfy your expectation perfectly. We would like to seek for your comments and suggestions on USB function of TP-LINK routers now.

We will take all your suggestions into careful consideration. If good and applicable, we will put it into effect humbly.

Please put forward your comments and suggestions thereafter this post according to the following three contents:
1、The experiences with TP-LINK routers’ USB ports including satisfactions and dissatisfactions.
2、The comparisonon experiences with other brand routers’ for USB functions.
3、Suggestions to TP-LINK USB products for future development.
Options
38 Reply
Re:An Investigation on multi-functional USB port of TP-LINK routers
2013-06-13 13:52:01
This thread appears to me very curious !

There is a lot of customer complaints in this forum about the malfunctions of USB ports and I should add all the e-mails sent to the customer support... for nothing.

In other words, your first sentence is not correct and must be write like that:

"Many of TP-LINK wireless routers have the USB ports which can't perform properly the functions of storage sharing, ftp server, media server and printer server."

Consequenly, I think you have first to register properly and fix all the bugs before to ask suggestions...
Options
2013-06-16 13:12:10
The Media Server and FTP does not work well.. I can access the contents if I am on a laptop and iPad but my Android devices can only see the volume but am unable to access the contents at all.
Have tried many configurations but it does not work with Android devices.
DLNA and SAMBA does not work well with Android or SMART TV or SMART Blue Ray machines...

Thanks

tplink wrote

Many of TP-LINK wireless routers have the USB ports which can perform the functions of storage sharing, ftp server, media server and printer server.However, because of the limitation of hardware and software, the USB ports may not satisfy your expectation perfectly. We would like to seek for your comments and suggestions on USB function of TP-LINK routers now.

We will take all your suggestions into careful consideration. If good and applicable, we will put it into effect humbly.

Please put forward your comments and suggestions thereafter this post according to the following three contents:
1、The experiences with TP-LINK routers’ USB ports including satisfactions and dissatisfactions.
2、The comparisonon experiences with other brand routers’ for USB functions.
3、Suggestions to TP-LINK USB products for future development.
Options
2013-06-27 00:05:32
You got to be kidding me....have't You have noticed the complaints coming from all over the world about the media server capabilities? I dont't know, is kind of lame to ask what must be improved......

Sincerelly I hope to solve all the issues expecially with the media server since this is the main thing for which i decided to purchase this router.
Options
2013-06-28 13:38:38
I think is better to add new functions to the USB, like dual-wan 3G modem for back-up connection on all the routers with USB beside the FTP,printer sharing and media sharing.
Options
2013-07-02 03:56:58
The USB ports dont auto-mount the drive so its visible directly on the network without the need to manually mount it within Windows etc. This is causing issues with NAS drives that search the network for other devices that it can work with.

If possible, please ensure the next firmware can auto-mount the drive so its visible without manual intervention!
Options
2013-07-03 21:13:35
when sending files to the usb device through the network it would crash (disconnect) making it useless.
Options
2013-07-03 23:17:54

tssphysicsboi wrote

when sending files to the usb device through the network it would crash (disconnect) making it useless.

Yes, I reported this problem in February and I'm still waiting a fix.
TP-Link is completely unable to develop a reliable firmware for the USB ports...
Options
on print and scan all are OK for me
2013-07-07 02:10:13
I use these functions with utility provided by you
"TL-WDR4300_TP-Link_UDS_Printer_Controller" on Mac enviroment, and all are OK, I am very satisfied with this implementation.
My multifunction device is a Epson SX200 (DX4400).

I do not use usb port with a HDD or memory stick till now.

Firmware on router is TL-WDR4300_V1_130319.

For a period I was inclined to go with Open WRT or DDWRT (forums on those firmwares are full with unhappy 4300 owners), but now with the release of support for IOS app in next firmware I thing it was a good decision to stay with firmware from you.

Good work for you and good investment for me :)

I use this router mainly on 5 GHz with my mac equipped with this PCI card http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?categoryid=1683&model=TL-WDN4800,
Options
2013-07-07 12:40:41
A good printing function doesn't require any extra software.
The printing controller is even a proof that the printing function is badly implemented into the firmware...
Options
2013-07-07 13:53:37
you are not right, the need for this utility is given by usb drivers for printer and scan function supplied by Epson, it translate commands from driver over network to device, so without other drivers from Epson that is the solution to scan and print over network on a usb prints/scan multifunction device.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2884

Replies: 38

Related Articles