Unable to use tp-link AC1200 with VPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-04-14 22:39:31 - last edited 2019-04-14 22:55:20
Model: RE305  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 20181026 Rel. 42054

I have a tp-link AC1200 (RE305) Wi-Fi Range Extender that I've been trying to use for the past couple of months, but it's been frustrating.

I use a VPN connection (software: Pulse Secure) with my company laptop to connect with their internal network from home. Sometimes my Wi-fi connection will switch to the range extender's better signal and it breaks my VPN connection. Reconnecting to the wi-fi doesn't appear to work and the VPN software is unable to re-establish a connection until I unplug the range extender and go back to the direct router connection. VPN works perfectly through my router otherwise, although I need to use a custom DNS server to avoid issues with my ISP.

I'm using the range extender as a signal booster / range extender and not as its own access point. The SSIDs are broadcast for both 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz. All lights are blue when the issue occurs.

Do range extenders need to support VPN passthrough for this to work properly? I've recently upgrade the firmware to the latest but the issue remains.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Unable to use tp-link AC1200 with VPN
2019-04-16 09:50:49

Hi,

What is the VPN type you are using? Do you need to bind MAC address of your devices so that you can connect to the VPN network?

Basically, the will not block any of your VPN packets. So, we do not need to set any VPN passthrough on the extender.

Good day!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3191

Replies: 1

Related Articles