Need setup advice please ...

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2012-12-14 20:09:13
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WA801ND

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WA801ND

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP : VirginMedia

I'm trying to address a WiFi blackspot in my flat and to this end bought a pair of homeplugs (TL-PA411KIT) and an AP (TL-WA801ND). Whilst I've managed to talk to the AP okay, I'm not sure (and the manual doesn't make it clear) what my setup should look like, both in terms of what plugs into what and which mode the AP should be set to.

The user guide clearly explains how to configure each of the available modes but doesn't make it explicitly clear which mode should be used in which situation. I imagined the setup would be something along the lines of ...

TL-WA801ND connected via Ethernet and the two homeplugs to my VirginMedia Superhub (a combined cable modem and wireless router)

TL-WA801ND in turn set to Repeater Mode.

I've faffed around on and off but before I bore everyone with detailed setup questions, I just wanted to check how my various devices should be connected in the first place.

Cheers in advance ...
Options
6 Reply
Re:Need setup advice please ...
2012-12-14 21:47:17
I think you should set the AP to Access Point mode.
Set it's SSID,
and set Wireless Security to WPA2-PSK.

You can set the same SSID name and WPA password as your Virgin SuperHub, but you can use anything else.

Why is not repeater mode? Because at the position of the AP there is low or no wireless signal from the SuperHub (that's why you bought the AP)

Above are enough for working but I recommend you to set a
- static ip address to the ap (in the same network, but out of the dhcp pool)
- a fixed wireless channel 1,6 or 11
- a new admin password to the web management interface

About plugs:
1. Put one TL-PA411 near the Virgin router and the other one near the AP
2. press the button on each so they connect to each other (as the manual said)
3. connect the UTP network cable from the Plug to the Virgin router's free LAN port
4. connect the UTP network cable from the other Plug to the AP LAN port
Options
2012-12-14 23:34:52
I was hoping to avoid a situation where I created another WiFi network. It would be useful if both phone and tablet could move anywhere round the house without having to switch networks.

Do I have any options if all I want to do is extend the range of my existing WiFi network? I suppose I could move the AP from its planned bedroom location to one in the hall (which still gets a signal from my existing network). I presume this would allow me to use repeater mode?

I have a NAS and I really want to be able to stream from that into my blackspot. I assumed I needed to do that on the same WiFi network but could I do that over a new AP network?

(Apologies for the thicky qqs ... :))
Options
2012-12-15 03:32:51

Shiskine wrote

I was hoping to avoid a situation where I created another WiFi network. It would be useful if both phone and tablet could move anywhere round the house without having to switch networks.

Your devices will have to switch network if they lose connection (get out of range) to the station they associated to. Then they search for another station nearby with the strongest signal. If you connect to each AP once, they will do this automatically next time. Maybe you won't even notice they did.

If you set the SSID, security encryption, key and channel to the same as the router's then they do it very quickly. This is called "roaming".

Do I have any options if all I want to do is extend the range of my existing WiFi network? I suppose I could move the AP from its planned bedroom location to one in the hall (which still gets a signal from my existing network). I presume this would allow me to use repeater mode?

Yes you could use Repeater mode if you move the AP out to the hall. But I wont recommend it because:
1. In repeater mode you are not utilizing your TL-PA411s. The wireless signal will be repeated from: the router --> thru the AP --> to the bedroom. Data won't flow thru the TL-PA411 so they would be completely useless.
2. If you plug in the TL-PA411s you will have IP address collison! Because the AP will be connected to the same router thru wireless and wired too! So the network would stop completely.
3. Using it as wireless repeater will cut the wireless bandwidth in half. Streaming HD content would stop or lag.
4. Wireless signal will be weaker in the bedroom as the AP is not there -> lower bandwidth.

So the setup would be optimal this way with peak connection speeds:
router -(100mbit)> TL-PA411 -(500mbit)> TL-PA411 -(500mbit)> TL-WA901D-(300mbit)>Your clients

Repeater mode would be:
router -(300mbit)> Repeater -(150mbit)> clients
Wireless bandwidth is not the same as wired! A 100mbit wired speed could be faster than a 300mbit wireless!
Also you won't have these maximum speeds because they gets lower because of their distance.

I have a NAS and I really want to be able to stream from that into my blackspot. I assumed I needed to do that on the same WiFi network but could I do that over a new AP network?

Sure you can, without any problem!

My English is not native maybe I did grammar mistakes :)
But If you have any troubles or questions feel free to ask!
Options
2012-12-16 00:57:15
Thanks very much for that. As you've reassured me about accessing the NAS via a different WiFi network, I'll give that a go. I'll report back once all the Christmas preparations are out the way .... :D
Options
2012-12-17 23:24:13
See up AP in AP mode and everything now working. The only issue I have is that both tablet and smartphone don't immediately drop the old/main network for the new, full strength, network. It would seem that as long as there is even a slight signal they'll hang on to it rather than switch to the stronger signal from the secondary network. Other than that everything working and all devices can see the NAS on the new network.

Thanks again ...
Options
2012-12-28 07:51:50
Yes that's normal behavior, the devices do everything to maintain the connection established.

I'm glad I could help you out! Happy holidays! :)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1147

Replies: 6

Related Articles